1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can international students get jobs as teachers after qualifying with PGCE

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by asfand_ak1, Feb 8, 2018.

1. asfand_ak1

asfand_ak1 New commenter

As an international student, I’m on a tier 4 student visa but after doing a pgce can you apply for jobs to secondary schools. I understand that you need a certificate of sponsorship from your employer in this case the school which allowes you to move from the tier 4 (student) visa to the tier 2 (work) visa. I would like to inquire if schools who have academy status or those that come under the council of a city sponsor international students once they qualify with PGCE. I am planning to teach Mathematics at secondary school level. I understand that the sponsorship varies from school to school but can anyone tell from experience if schools hire/willing to sponsor international students. Thank you for your help.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There seem to be quite a number of schools and academies on the list of tier 2 sponsors at https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general, which suggests it is being done. They list teachers of some secondary school subjects as one of the exceptions to the minimum salary rule, but interestingly, that list includes some primary schools as well.

realparul likes this.
  3. sukhan_qureshi

sukhan_qureshi New commenter

Hi!

I know your post is old but I’m currently in the same boat as you.. switching from tier 4 to 2 to get a teaching job. Were you able to work it out?

thank you x