1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can incidents re-trigger deep depression?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Seadream, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I have suffered on and off with depression for 20 years. I am on a low dosage of anti-d at the moment and have been doing ok.

Very sadly I witnessed the plane crash at the Shoreham Air Show yesterday and I have been feeling numb ever since. I didn't see the plane hit the ground but was watching the display and live locally. I feel like I need to snap out of how I feel as I have 3 children to care for and a husband who can't understand why I'm upset over people I don't know. I felt sick and was in tears today as I heard the display planes leaving the airport today that had come in for the show. I can't stop thinking about it and I really don't know what to do. I'm short fused and my husband is now refusing to talk to me as I'm so down.

Has anyone felt anything similar and do you have advice on what I can do? I am scared that I'm going to drop down into deep depression again.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would imagine many people would feel some form of trauma after actually witnessing an event like that. Your proximity will have raised issues about one's own mortality and would, in my opinion be perfectly natural, though your husband's (more 'removed reaction) could also be perfectly 'normal' too. I know the incident has been on my mind too-it's the second such 'accident' with an air display we've had in the south in the past couple of months.

See how you feel in a day or so. There's no reason to feel it will necessarily trigger a return of symptoms and I would think being aware will help and be quite healthy for you.

Let your emotions come, or not. Whatever it takes to keep your mental balance. (Sometimes a good cry' to let everything all out is what is needed, as a sort of release valve.) Take care.

3. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thank you. I'm just overwhelmed by feelings at the moment and I have friends who know people who have been killed. It's just so much to take in. It was really unbalancing going from the elation of watching the maneuver in one moment to shock as the plane exploded.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I don't think your response is unreasonable or OTT. It was, and still is, a terrible thing to witness and be a part of. I don't know whether this sort of trauma could be triggering in the way you describe but it would seem sensible to be kind to yourself, allow yourself to be utterly horrified, talk and cry to loved ones and, if you need to see the doctor in a few days/weeks time then do so.

5. naggin the nag

naggin the nag New commenter

I'm so sorry for your trauma at that horrific event. It is possible that you might be experiencing post-traumatic stress. Please seek help as soon as you can so that PTSD can be avoided. This is a real thing - you are not imagining it. Contact the Teacher Support Service, Samaritans and / or your GP. I wish you well at this very difficult time. xx