1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I use an LSA for more than one statemented child in a class?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by peckhamwill, Nov 4, 2015.

1. peckhamwill

peckhamwill New commenter

Dear all,

this is my first post so please bear with me and direct me to any existing threads that might deal with this concern.

My issue is that I have hours allocated on statements/EHC plans for which I have attached LSAs.

In some classes I have placed on LSA to work with two statemented students - parents/carers often expect their child to have 1:1 support and yet I cannot provide this. Is there any guidance on this? I have heard that as SENCos we have to be creative and from consultants that LSAs should not be attached as velcro as this can inhibit independent work etc.

How can I give value for money whilst being accountable for the use of LSAs as a resource that parents/carers perceive as being exclusively for their child?

Thanks in advance!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo, and welcome to our forums!

Now this Workplace Dilemmas forum is basically for people who are having employment problems. I see that yours is a dilemma, but not one that I for example can answer!

I am going to suggest that you go to the SEN forum where you can post again and perhaps get some advice from someone more knowledgeable than I!

Best wishes

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You might get some answers in the SEND forum.

I left before the new Code of Practice came in last September, so it may be different now, but it always used to be the case that we rarely use 1-1 TAs for the reasons you mention. When there were statements, they had a number of points attached and you could be creative with the support, so that instead of one child having 10 hours of support on his/her own, because that was on the statement, you could double up the support by using the TA in a duo or small group.

We also used the TA to work with a larger group whilst the teacher worked with the small SEND group- teacher time being more expensive than TA time.

Of course, there were children who really needed 1-1 support all the time, but they are in the minority. It's persuading parents that a Velcro TA is not bnecessarily in their child's best interests!

4. peckhamwill

peckhamwill New commenter

Thank you both for your replies - have posted this i the SENd section!