1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can i teach with a masters?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by catodon, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi , I've got a masters degree, but not qualified to teach, is there any position I can apply for , such as a classroom assistance etc to give me experience in teaching?
    thanks

2. Hi , I've got a masters degree, but not qualified to teach, is there any position I can apply for , such as a classroom assistance etc to give me experience in teaching?
    thanks

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Yes, you can apply to be a TA, but it pays peanuts and won't get you any further towards a teaching qualification. Look on the TDA website, and look at the routes to QTS.

4. Hi
    To train as a teacher you would need to hold a bachelor's degree; and GCSEs at grade C or above, or equivalent qualifications, in English and mathematics, as well as science for primary teaching. School experience is excellent preparation, and you can find details on all of the routes into teaching via www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options.
    You can arrange voluntary/observational classroom experience by contacting schools directly; their details can be found on www.edubase.gov.uk. While there aren't any mandatory qualification requirements for support staff roles, the experience is a strong factor and will afford you the opportunity to investigate their expectations; it would also be worthwhile to discuss local requirements with your local authority, which you can search for at: http://local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/Start.do?mode=1.
    If you need, you can find information about suitable qualifications on our website: www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/staff/b00202859/qualifications.
    I hope this information proves useful, and wish you the best in your teaching career.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency