1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I teach in FE with a BA (hons) primary education with qts degree?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by lauren8811, Feb 27, 2013.

1. I qualified as a primary school teacher in 2009 but was unable to secure a post so have not completed my nqt year. Since qualifying I have had many jobs working with students of secondary and FE age in a suppport role but would really like to go into FE lecturing. My first question is can I teach in FE with my primary qts even though I did not complete my nqt year? And secondly I would really ilike to teach childcare but could I teach this seeing as I am trained in teaching young children or would I need a vocational qualification in childcare? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. I qualified as a primary school teacher in 2009 but was unable to secure a post so have not completed my nqt year. Since qualifying I have had many jobs working with students of secondary and FE age in a suppport role but would really like to go into FE lecturing. My first question is can I teach in FE with my primary qts even though I did not complete my nqt year? And secondly I would really ilike to teach childcare but could I teach this seeing as I am trained in teaching young children or would I need a vocational qualification in childcare? Any advice would be much appreciated.

3. OP, I think you said you already work in a college; the simplest thing to do would be to go and ask head of Childcare what you need by way of qualifications to move into that area.
    Alternatively, look at the job specs for a Childcare position - they'll tell you want you need.

4. Really teacherherderm what is your problem??? THe poor OP just asks a question and you give a quick slimy lick of your special jaded venom. If you are not going to help people. just BE QUIET. Especially if you really are, have been or will be in Teacher Ed. Your actions are very damaging. FPS, just BE QUIET!

5. Oh dear.....

6. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Lauren- I think your FE experience will work in your favour. I would say if you have your own child and a solid foundation of child based pedogogy then I can't see why you would need extensive expoerience to teach, say level 1 or 2 childcare for example.
    Obviously, if you wanted to teach teachers of young children i.e. a BEd or PGCE, you would need lots of experience as a teacher.
    It's worth a go - if you don't try , you won't get.
    Good luck. Sometimes a few sessional hours can be a good way in to FE.

7. I fail to see how having your own child can in any way, shape or form relate to childcare as a profession. I am sorry. This is not meant to come across as negative, but I get frustrated with the view that anyone can teach in FE. Students deserve the very best teachers and a student studying childcare, at any level, deserves someone highly expert and experienced in that vocational area. You may be right. A college may employ someone with a few weeks work experience and experience of having given birth to teach vocational childcare, but this is a million miles away from being the right thing to do.

8. moonpenny

She has a degree in primary education and i would assume experience via teaching practice and maybe temp jobs, supply...also degree was 4 years ago. when you are working with level one anf two students who often struggle academically I think the primary experience would be useful and a few variable hours would allow her time to get to kniw the syllabus. She has been working in a support role so she kniws what levels the students operate.I am not saying someone will employ her....thats up to the childcare department.....Ive known animal care tutors who have been employed straight after their degree as they have the academic background needed and prac experience on their course.

9. ..... and that is an absolute disgrace

10. I dont see how this is a disgrace. If someone had done a degree in say science or business then gone on to do a pgce your saying shouldnt teach until they had experience of being a scientist or an entrepreneur?? If someone wanted to teach and have the qualification in the subject they want to teach and a teaching qualification with 'teaching experience' then I dont see what the issue is.. There are lecturers in college who may have years and years of experience in there subject area but dont have a teaching qualification and still get a job teaching..that to me is more of a disgrace than someone who is qualified to teach aswell as in subject area but may not have as much experience...

11. moonpenny

They are good teachers....well tuned in to the students as they actually studied there...loads of drive and enthusiam...department judged outstanding by ofsted.Some subjects would be more suited to someone with industrial experience.....what does it matter as long as someone is able to do their job well? You are entitled to your opinion but this is mine.

12. Yes, that is the problem.
    You fail to see anything form the point of view of another.
    Give it up.
    [​IMG]

13. Ignore teacherherderem.

14. I am saying that if someone is going to teach a vocational subject with any credibility then they need to have significant experience in that area. I do not believe that the interests of FE students are best served by employing 'teachers' direct from the courses they are going to teach without first going on to work in business or industry. This is the main purpose of FE.
    True, but since the 2001 and 2007 regulations these are fewer in number. You can provide anyone with the skills and knowledge required to teach, you cannot provide someone who has not worked in business or industry with the real life experience of doing the job. I do not see how a plumber who has never plumbed, an engineer who has never engineered, a chef who has never cooked or, indeed, a child-carer who has never professionally cared for children can properly teach.

15. I always smile when I read that. We are all entitled to our own opinions, please don't patronise me in that way as if I have denied you yours. Other than expressing my opinion, I have not, at any point, denied you yours.
    You cannot possibly know that every teacher who has never worked in the job they are teaching others to do are all good teachers. Some are, undoubtedly. Most, in my experience, are not. One example: teaching practice observation with an electrical engineer who, following her degree, went into teaching electrical installation. She taught theory only as she had never worked asn an electrician. Countless times the apprentices in this particular class, all with more experience of doing the job, had questions from the problems and issues they faced in their daily working lives that she could not answer. She was a quite brilliant teacher of electrical science, but had no credibility in the eyes of her students.
    Some? Most, I would argue. FE is primarily about teaching vocational skills and is best-served by having teachers who are well experienced in those skills.
    It matters massively to the students who want to be well-equipped to do the jobs they are training for well and for the employers who need highly skilled people. Do you really want a plumber turning up who has only ever done the theory?

16. Why not contribute to the thread. Give us the benefit of your experience. Learn from us as we learn from you? Oh you can't, can you? Largely because that isn't your purpose.
    Jog on troll.

17. moonpenny

Teachered....all I said was ask the childcare dept and note, I did say it depends on the subject....do we really want teachers of history A levels who have never made history....a plumbing lecturer needs to have been a plumber....yes.

18. moonpenny

Also, you think it is totally out of the question, I think it's worth a shot. Am I only allowed to post if I agree with you .:D( only said that to give you another chuckle)

19. Teachered I do have professional experience of caring for children...i have worked in.a nursery whilst.I was studying and countless number of teaching practices whilst completing my degree..yet you say this is not enough..which is fine in your opinuon and if you read my original post I was never saying that I did have enough experience I was merely asking about my qualifications..as I can easily volunteer in a nursery if needs be..
    You are entitled to your own opinion but there are right ways to go about it and being nssty and passinv judgement in other people is not right

Thank you to everyone else who has posted giving me advice

20. Teachered I do have professional experience of caring for children...i have worked in.a nursery whilst.I was studying and countless number of teaching practices whilst completing my degree..yet you say this is not enough..which is fine in your opinuon and if you read my original post I was never saying that I did have enough experience I was merely asking about my qualifications..as I can easily volunteer in a nursery if needs be..
    You are entitled to your own opinion but there are right ways to go about it and being nastyy and passing udgement in other people is not right

Thank you to everyone else who has posted giving me advice