1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I teach in Austrailia?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by crizzza, May 15, 2011.

1. Hello on this cold rainy Sunday!
    I am going to Austrailia in September on a working holiday visa. I am hoping to work and travel around different parts of Oz. Would anybody know if I could supply over there? I would be happy to work more casual jobs but ideally I'd like to teach. Any ideas, information or companies that anyone knows of would be great. Thank you. [​IMG]

2. You need to register with each State or Territory that you want to work in - I imagine most (if not all) of them work in a similar way - for South Australia you need to get your qualifications assessed by the SA Education Dept, then get police checks done, do a first aid course (one day) and a one day course on child protection stuff, then it takes a couple of weeks for the paperwork to go through apparently. If you google each state you are interested in and 'teaching' or 'education dept' you should find the relevant info on each states' websites - I've found Gov info online really really good.
    After that you can either apply directly to schools by dropping off your CV at the school, go via DECs for TRT (supply), or through an agency like ANZUK teaching agency (I think they are only in Melbourne and Perth? Can't remember the two places off the top of my head, but somewhere like that). Agencies also advertise on the job website Seek. I don't know if you go through an agency like ANZUK I don't know if they help with the registration process or not I'm afraid.
    Hope that helps a bit :) Good luck

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

You might start by learning to spell it.

4. But that's how it's pronounced!
    Actually, it's more like Austraaaarlia.
    'Specially if you're one of 'em.

5. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Naah, the pronunciation is more 'Straaalia?'

6. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

Have you never seen Home and Away? You just turn up at any Australian School, and they'll give you a job straight away, regardless of qualifications, experience or criminal record!