1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I teach EYFS with PGCE?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by e.waddington, Oct 20, 2015.

1. e.waddington

e.waddington New commenter

Hoping someone can help! I have a PGCE in primary teaching but would like to work in nursery now. Can I do this? Can I work in the pre-school section without re-training? If I need to re-train is there a short route I could do that's not going to cost me hundreds of £s?
    Looking forward to reading your advice!
    Emma :)

2. Nielle

Nielle New commenter

Hi there!
    I too have a PGCE in Primary, and in fact trained mostly in KS2. However, I have just this summer got a job in a nursery without any extra training, so it definitely can be done! I only applied for jobs that didn't require the Level 2 or 3 in childcare, and emphasised what experience I did have in the Early Years (not much, but oodles of enthusiasm!).
    My nursery are not retraining me in childcare as a PGCE counts as Level 6 and a relevant qualification, but another might choose to do so. If they had wanted to, then they would have footed the cost.
    I'm now working in the preschool room after a short stint with the 3months-15months and it's honestly the best decision I ever made.
    Hope that helps

Nielle

3. e.waddington

e.waddington New commenter

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. What role are you in? The nursery that wanted to employ me were concerned about me not counting towards ratios and that ofsted may pull them up on the qualification side of things. I know that I would love to work in nursery and really only need a brush up on the new EYFS curriculum, I worked in Year 1 as a teacher for 3 years so there was a definite cross over with methods and use of the EYFS to assess the children.
    Thanks
    Emma

4. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Do you mean a nursery class as opposed to a day nursery?
    I agree that there is a definite cross over with methods for year 1, in fact I was trained to continue the learning journey into year 1 from reception which when you have very young children in the year certainly helps, so I think with this experience and showing you have stacks of enthusiasm will certainly help.
    You would count in ratio at Level 6, you can go on the education gov uk website to see, a few things have changed but that's with regard to Level 3 staff pre course entry requirements.
    Good luck!

5. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

I am primary trained however my first job was a foundation 1 class in a day nursery with my second being a reception teacher at a school nursery. In fact the teacher who replaced me had just came out of 10 years+ teaching as a Year 5 teacher. My role in the day nursery was the foundation 1 class teacher/room leader.

My manager at the nursery said my experience and qualifications were the equivalent of Level 6 child care. You still cover things like child development, assessment, planning, parental partnerships, safeguarding etc. And as it was a higher level I also had a higher ratio of children.

Also, the last few nurseries that I went for an interview in were actually specifically interviewing trained teachers for their pre-school rooms. It seems that OFSTED really like this...

Hope this helps. One thing I will say however is that the pay is much, much lower in a day nursery. I chose to work in the nursery for my love of the early years and because as a young teacher I didn't have any financial commitments. I fear that when I'm older with children/bills/etc I would not be able to take such a pay cut. Just something to consider!