1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I teach abroad?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mjaos1, Nov 25, 2011.

1. I am currently on a GTP course and want to teach abroad when I am qualified at the end of the year....but do I have to complete an NQT year here in the UK before I dream of a move away?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Reputable schools will expect usually 2 years' experience in the UK.
    Schools that are desperate to get someone will take you with less.
    :)
    Go to the Teaching Overseas Forum for more details - have a good browse.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've just got my Casual Number for supply teaching is NSW, Aus. They did ask for evidence that I had taught 12 months after my PGCE and I don't think they accept GTP at all down under (you have to have done 4 years in University). I'm sure there will be some countries that will. The overseas forum was really helpful for me so hopefully there will be some more positive answers for you :) x

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for that - it is Great News!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Thanks Theo! Shame they go on summers hols in a few weeks but raring to go when they go back late Jan. [​IMG] x

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am currently teaching at a school in Doha, Qatar, and I can tell you that some international schools do offer jobs to young teachers with only a limited amount of experience of teaching in the UK. Yes, it is true that the better and more reputable schools do usually want to appoint candidates who have more experience and on the whole the more reputable schools also pay significantly better.
    On the other hand, some teachers who are currently unemployed might be wise to consider teaching in an international school. It is valuable experience and it might be a lot better than being unemployed! Teaching in a "second division" international school might also be a stepping-stone to something better in two or three years' time. For young teachers who have left university with significant student debts, teaching in an international school might offer the chance to get oneself sorted out financially because many international schools offer teachers a tax-free salary, with free accommodation and utilities paid.
    It must be remembered that you will probably be "in at the deep end", as few international schools will bother to give you any mentoring or additional help. Anyway, my advice would be to spend some time on the "Teaching Overseas" forum and think carefully about whereabouts in the world you would like to be. If you have strong links with family and friends in the UK, then maybe teaching in an international school is not for you.