1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I take unused medicines back to Boots?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by grumbleweed, Apr 11, 2012.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there. Im having a clear out and I have unused amounts of some quite potent drugs. I know you used to be able to take them back to the chemist, but is this sill the case?
    Reason I have them is I was put on several over time and all of them I reacted severly to and could no longer take them.

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Yes. still the case. ANY pharmacy should take them off your hands.

3. You can take them to any chemist where they will put them straight in the bin - even if unopened.I was shocked when I discovered this. My father had been given the wrong type of dressing for his leg but even though the packets were sealed the chemist told me they had to be thrown away .
    And the NHS is short of money.......

4. Yes all pharmacies will accept them. Where I work, all of our students are on medication for epilepsy and we return pills to Boots almost daily as our protocol says we have to return medication that has been refused or dropped on the floor. The guy that delivers all the prescriptions takes all the medication to be returned back with him but, in a normal situation, just take them to your nearest pharmacy and they will dispose of them for you. I do think, as Chantillycream mentioned, that throwing away unopened packets of medication seems to be not cost effective but they must have their reasons for doing so.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

many thanks. Ill be popping them back next week.