1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I take my blazer off?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by MagisterLinguarum, Mar 26, 2019.

1. MagisterLinguarum

MagisterLinguarum New commenter

The more schools I go into on supply, the more I come across this, and it's really starting to get on my nerves so I feel the need to rant.

By far, the two most annoying questions I am ever asked are:
    "Can I take my blazer off?" and "Can I have a drink?"

Is it just me?

I just find it so irritating to be half way through an explanation, for four hands to go up, all asking if they can take their blazers off because that's what they've been trained to do. And it's not just the odd school - I see it everywhere....

IMHO, these are two questions to which I will never say no, so why do we expect kids to ask them?

I've tried to combat it by making it explicit at the beginning of lessons: "If you want to take your blazer off at any point, you have my permission to do so, and if you want to have a drink at any point, you also have my permission so please do not ask". Doesn't really work; a lot of them still ask anyway.

I just find it so unnecessarily disruptive and it's really annoying. I get asked one of these two questions on average 10-15 times a day and I just don't see the point.

Anyone else with me?

agathamorse and lardylegs like this.
  2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I used to hate having to ask whether I could take my blazer off when I was a pupil. It would drive me mad to have to hear it as a teacher! Luckily I work in primary with not a blazer in sight.

In your position I would probably tell them that they can take their blazer off whenever they want, but if they ask me, the answer will be no.

3. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

I’m with you. I don’t ask permission from the head to take off my suit jacket. Why should the students have to ask?

pepper5 likes this.
  4. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Haha. In Mfl we teach them to say it in the language. Useful for modals.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

"I don't know, have you ever taken it off before?" (Just to release some frustration)

6. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Ha, some good responses already.

What about writing it on the board and then just pointing to it when they ask? If you're going in regularly to the same schools, they might eventually catch on. Although as we all know from having to say "sit down, get your equipment ready" despite them doing it 5/6 times a day, it can take a long time to establish routines!

It can be difficult when a management team decide such things as children having to ask to remove blazers. It's good to try to be consistent with policies but when they just don't make sense, it can be frustrating. Is there anyone in the schools you could mention it to? Might be worth bringing up to see if there is support among the staff to change the rules.

7. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Tell them at the beginning of the lesson that they can take their blazers off if they are hot.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

At our local high school the pupils are not allowed to take off their blazers, more or less on pain of death, without asking first. So it's not the pupils you should be cross with but the idiot managers who think that this is important.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I'm glad there's still some discipline left in schools. It's when this stuff starts to fall by the wayside that standards drop, IMHO.