1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I strike or not?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by walnuthead, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Don't be bullish, she/he does not HAVE to strike (it is outrageous this 'expected to strike' attitude). However, seems a bit odd that the union has contacted the school to say that the staff don't have a mandate to strike, even though they didn't get their papers in. I thought if your union was a striking union, all members had the right to strike even if they didn't vote. ATL haven't contacted me to say that because I voted no I don't have the right to strike. They keep sending me **** asking me to go on the marches next Wed. (Which I shan't be doing.)

2. Reading the OP, the poster WANTS to strike.

3. You don't have to be a member of a union to strike. If you inform you employer of your intention to do so you have the same protection as any union member. I don't know why you would be informed that you cannot strike.

4. That's why I'm confused it says they have no mandate to pursue action? But I don't know what that means - I will ring them tomorrow. Thank you

5. Airy, Could you provide a legal reference for what you are saying?

Thanks.

6. Don't be daft, of course you have to be in a union to strike. (Don't you??) Otherwise I might strike next week because there is never any milk in the school fridge.)

7. Not so daft. Perhaps you need to get some facts together before you post.
    Lifted directly from a memo to all employees in our LA:
    "Those employees who are not members of the recognised Trade Unions are expected to report for work as normal on 30 November 2011. If you fail to report for work on 30 November 2011 you will be regarded as having taken part in the strike and a deduction of pay will be made for that day."

8. It was in the general advice issued by my LA. I kinda assumed they'd have it right. If you scroll down this page http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/TradeUnions/Industrialaction/DG_179248there's some information about it, although it seems to contradict itself at bit. I think as long as the general action is official you can join in.

9. It has to be an official strike.

10. A couple of things,... I think a member of a union called out to strike and goes on strike would have more protection (the backing and support of their union) than a worker who went and joined in on strike action.
    LAs are assuming that everyone is on strike, which makes things a lot easier(?) for them... calculation of salary deduction, gives everyone time to make arrangements to account for the day of action... as well, it gives them the opportunity to "see" how many strikers there are. LAs would have been given numbers of members in the union, but they probably want to see how these numbers "add" up.
    Things will get very interesting.

11. sbf

sbf New commenter

Dont forget the LAs are just as affected by these pension changes. Even the top bosses will be more than supportive behind the scenes. Who wants to pay an extra £200 odd quid a month have 8 years added to their working life and get less of a pension, which will be worth less over your retirment due to the change in calculation inflation.