1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I still leave now?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Nina10, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Nina10

Nina10 New commenter

Hello,

Are there different rules for NQTs and resigning? It’s been suggested to me that it may still be possible to leave at this point in the year and not return in September (although I thought I had missed the deadline). Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Have you passed your NQT year? I think it depends upon this, but there are people on here who know far more than I do.

3. Nina10

Nina10 New commenter

Thanks. As far as I know, yes. I say that because I’m not sure if there will be another observation but all (5) have been passed so far.

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Why do you want to leave now?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on standard teachers' conditions of employment (ie National Conditions of Service for School Teachers [the 'Burgundy Book']) the notice periods and resignation dates for NQTs are the same as for all teachers. If you are in an academy that has its own employment contracts it might be different.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You can negotiate leaving outside of the standard resignation dates. Key question is why you want to leave? If it is to avoid failing induction then you need to consider your options carefully. Induction can be extended if there are issues with induction which may have prevented a fair assessment and good support.