1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I start working as an NQT in June?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by slymattsly, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I am currently on my final placement of a 3-year BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS course and have started applying for jobs.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation of applying for summer term jobs? One has been advertised which starts in June and I am tempted to apply for it. My course will have ended but I am unsure whether I will have officially gained QTS by then. If I have, there is obviously no problem, however if my QTS is still pending would I still be able to start working as a full-time teacher in June?

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

If you don't have QTS you can't work as a qualified teacher.

But schools are used to your situation and will generally be quite happy to take you on as an unqualified instructor in June, switching to becoming a teacher in August.

You may need to remind your finance department in September so that you can get paid properly, but it'll all work out.

Good luck going for the job!

3. Thank you for your response! Very useful.

I think a call to the school may provide some more information based on their requirements so I'll certainly see what options they can offer me. Also a valid point about the pay!

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You may find "early start" arrangements for NQTs who graduate this summer this provides supply work on the unqualified scale until you gain QTS over the July period and then a contract paying from august. This is the general arrangement in a number of London boroughs and I am aware of similar arrangements elsewhere in the UK. You need to establish from the university that there is no outstanding work or commitments and that the course has officially finished.

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

In my case I had a short contract between July and the start of September that meant I was paid as an unqualified teacher, but with a special additional payment that meant I was effectively paid at MPS1. From the start of September I had a contract with MPS pay arrangements.
    It depends on your school, of course!

6. Hi
    I had a very similar situation
    The gtp course finished on June 30
    The job was to start mid June
    So we agreed a start date of 1 July
    The qts certificate arrived mid July with a date of 1 July

Apply and good luck with the job hunt

Paul

7. Schools can take you on pending award of QTS. You will be paid on the instructor rate but you should move to the qualified teacher rate on the day you gain QTS (which will come at some point in August). One thing to look out for is the contract - so that you are paid over August - some schools hire staff for June and July BUT end the instructor contract at the end of July and start the new teacher contract in September meaning you would not have any pay during August.
    The Sage

8. As an NQT, I was paid over July and August, even though I only went in for a week in July and did not do any teaching: it was all getting my classroom ready and planning and getting to know a couple of my classes [​IMG]

9. This is the situation I'll be in in the summer. I finish my PGCE at the start of June and start my job two weeks later, I'll also be paid main scale all the way through the summer, I'm going to an academy though, don't know if that makes a difference?