1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I start working as an NQT in June? Unsure as to whether I will officially have QTS at that point.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by slymattsly, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I am currently on my final placement of a 3-year BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS course and have started applying for jobs. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation of applying for summer term jobs? One has been advertised which starts in June and I am tempted to apply for it. My course will have ended but I am unsure whether I will have officially gained QTS by then. If I have, there is obviously no problem, however if my QTS is still pending would I still be able to start working as a full-time teacher in June? Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. I don't think your QTS is official until around August - at least that's when I got my certificate in the post, although my course ended in early July. There might be a way you can start working before then though, as it seems a bit harsh to make you wait until August. I'm not an expert in the slightest though, still an NQT myself. Sorry I can't be of any more help! Good luck.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not sure if they would take you on as 'unqualified' till the Sept and then you start induction- my probationary year, as it was then called, is yonks back.
    But if there wasn't a way round it, you just simply wouldn't be invited to interview, so you can but try. GTPs often qualify at 'odd' times of the year, depends when they started. One I knew a few years back qualified at the end of may and was then taken on for a maternity leave for the teacher who was her mentor from the June. Your BA obviously finishes at the end of your course but you'd have to ask your tutor as to when you officially gain QTS.
    Not much help I know.

4. Thank you for the responses. I've made the decision to apply anyway and have mentioned the situation in my application letter, so at least if the school can't take me on, I won't have the pain of interview and then rejection! Thanks again.