1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I start my NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by GeordieJack, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm just looking for some general advice and to see where I stand because my school have asked me to look into this.
    I qualified in Primary in November 2009. Since then I've been on supply doing various things, most recently working on long term supply as an outreach teacher at a school for students who have been excluded from mainstream. While I was doing this there was no way I could to my NQT year because it wasn't based in a classroom situation. The school did have three sites and I was based at the site for the older students, mainly KS4.
    Now the school has moved to two brand new buildings and I have been asked to teach the PSHE and some SEAL to the entire lower school every morning. This is fine by me because it means I carry on getting my teaching experience etc. Also I've come off supply and been given a proper six month contract.
    What I want to know is can I start doing my NQT year now? Even though it's in a special school and it's only five mornings a week. Plus the fact that it's only teaching one subject. These aspects make me think I might not be able to start yet, but at the same time I am now doing proper teaching with the planning and marking etc. School have said for me to try and find out a bit about it because things are up in the air at the moment with the moves to the new sites etc. Obviously I'm keen to start my NQT so I'm just wondering if anyone's ever had a similar situation to this and what happened. The school has put people through the NQT year before so I know it can be done in a school like this one.
    Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

By Lower School, do you mean KS3 or Ks1 & 2?

If KS3, you should be able to be registered for Induction once you are teaching a regular timetable that allows you to plan and assess. With Primary, you really need to be covering the core subjects.
    It doesn't matter that you trained for the primary Phase. You can still complete some or all of your Induxtion in another phase as long as you meet the standards as applied to the new phase.
    If registration is appled for and the LA decide that Induction is still not possible, the 16 montth supply allowance will still apply to your employment, even though you are now employed on a different basis that does not include the word 'supply'. The 16 month alowance is basically a 'window of opportunity' where you can be employed as a teacher in the State system before Induction must be completed: it doesn't matter whether the teaching that you do is random days from an agency or LA employer or whether it is a longer-term contract.
    So, if you did your first ever qualified teaching in Nov 2009, your 16 months will expire in March 2011.
    If your new employment is not accepted as suitable for Induction (ring the LA Induction advisor a.s.a.p to get a verbal decision), you will need to apply to the LA for an extension to the Supply (non-Induction teaching) Allowance to allow you to remain in post. The LA can award anything from zero to 12 months extra time in which you can remain teaching in their 5-16 sectors. After that extension expites, you will need an Induction post or will have to leave the 5-16 sectors of State teaching until you can secure the necessary Induction terms.

3. Thanks, Jubilee.

It's teaching across KS2 and KS3. The classes only consist of 5 or 6 students.

That's really useful, thanks. I'll have to have a look into ringing the LA. I sort of had the idea that school would know about this and therefore would be able to advise me. They just said that they can definitely offer me a mentor etc but that I'll need tto find out about the NQT aspect myself and then let them know. I'm just concentrating on actually getting planned and prepared at the moment though since I was given less than a week's notice that I'd be teaching and, having not done classroom teaching for a while, I'm a bit out of practice.

I didn't know about this 16 month window of opportunity thing. I was under the impression that I had five years before I had to start my NQT year. I've been trying desperately to get an NQT post in a Primary school but not been getting far and now that I've got my foot in the door in this school I feel like I really need to keep it and do well.

Thanks for the reply anyway, I'll try and get it sorted as soon as I can.

4. You've been told the situation, but just to confirm. It is the LA who decide if the post is eligiblke for induction it may well be on the basis of your information, but only the LA can decide as they can see in more detail what the post involves.
    James

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There never was a rule that said that you had to start your NQT year within 5 years!
    What there was (now abolished) was an 'expectation' that you would complete Induction within 5 years of STARTING Induction. You could take as long as you liked, or as long as it took, to actually start Induction.
    The 5 year 'expectation' was abolished in 2007 and you can now take as long as you like to complete Induction, with the proviso that you are bound by the 16 month non-Induction teaching rule (+ any extension awarded) for any work done before Induction started or between Induction terms.
    When the allowances are used up, you can only teach in Post 16 State sector or the Private sector (any age) or do other work for a while or be unemployed. I was unemployed for 5 terms between 2001 and 2003 until I found a school where I could complete Induction.