1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I start my maturnity leave in the middle of the summer holiday?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by skybluepurple, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Can I start my maturnity leave in the middle of the summer holiday? my EDD is 20th August and I would like to maximise my money by stating that I'll be going on leave on that day. Is that possible or would I have to state end of July?
    Any help appreciated, I can't find any official advice on this.

2. Can I start my maturnity leave in the middle of the summer holiday? my EDD is 20th August and I would like to maximise my money by stating that I'll be going on leave on that day. Is that possible or would I have to state end of July?
    Any help appreciated, I can't find any official advice on this.

3. You can put your due date as the first day of your maternity leave. It's only fair really as otherwise you work all year and miss your summer holidays! Your HT just has to agree. When you go back to work you can put the first day of saholiday as your return date as well. The only thing you cannot do is start your leave any later than your due date even if your baby comes late!

4. I too am due around 18th/20th August and have heard that you can start maternity leave on your actual due date so you've got that 4 weeks to rest and get paid normal school holiday, good hey! However, I don't know this for definite as it's early days to discuss this with HT.

5. It is definitly true - put your due date as the start date. Can't start any later than this even if the baby is late. If the baby comes early, then your mat leave starts on the day it is born.
    And yes, you can put the first day of the hols in July as your return to work date (or you can come in for whatever period you like before that to get organised for the next year - I returned 2 weeks before the hols).

6. Thanks everyone, that's really helpful! [​IMG]