1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I start my maternity leave later?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sparkely_gem, Aug 20, 2011.

1. sparkely_gem

sparkely_gem New commenter

Hello,
    Im due to go on maternity leave on the 30th September and my baby is due on the 27th October. The lady who is going to cover my maternity leave will start on 2nd of October. I think I could work for longer. Is this possible, particularly as the new teacher has a start date?
    Thanks
    Gem

2. sparkely_gem

sparkely_gem New commenter

Hello,
    Im due to go on maternity leave on the 30th September and my baby is due on the 27th October. The lady who is going to cover my maternity leave will start on 2nd of October. I think I could work for longer. Is this possible, particularly as the new teacher has a start date?
    Thanks
    Gem

3. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

4. rebel75

rebel75 New commenter

You should find the answer to your question here http://www.teachers.org.uk/node/8999 click on the link to 'maternity matters May 2011'
    Off the top of my head you may have to give a certain number of weeks notice to change the start date of your maternity leave so you will need to get on the case about this as soon as possible with your headteacher. And the supply teacher may want to know about this as soon as possible, particularly if they're relying financially on the work... I'm not quite sure where that teacher stands if they were already given a committment to work from that date.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I had written an answer to this question about a week ago, but it has gone. You can change it provided you give 28 days' notice. So, you need to do it soon.