1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I skip up the main pay scale?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by zcsaa44, May 2, 2011.

1. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

I was looking for some advice, I am going for a meeting with my head teacher tomorrow morning about extending the maternity cover I am doing for another year as another teacher has fallen pregnant. When I started the job I had done a year as supply and completed 2 terms of my NQT year needing to complete the 3rd. I did not discuss my pay in my interview believing I would start on M2 as I was into my second year of teaching. This was not the case and I have been on M1 all year and advised I cannot move up the payscale midway through a year.

My question is am I able to move straight to M3 from M1 and is it worth me asking about this tomorrow morning? The head appears to have started all the NQTs who trained at the school in the past to start on M2.
    A big thank you if anyone can help
    James

2. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

I am now employed by the school through the LA on a maternity contract. Got to decide if I want to stay for another maternity contract if they offer it to me

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's likely that M2 will be your automatic pay in Sept 2011 if you hav ebeen employed for 26+ weeks in this school year. Any extra is by negotiation but highly unlikely. They wouldn't pay you M2 for the current employment, soare unlikely to cough up M3 when they don't have to.