1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can i say that I want maternity leave to start "the day after i give birth?"

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by emmamc252, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi!!!! I have read through my schools maternity guidance very closely, My due date is in the last week of the summer term, I know that many people are "late," and in the documentation it states that "maternity leave can start no later than the day after childbirth."
    as I will be off anyway I am really keen to work for as long as I can so that I can maximise the amount of time I can financially afford to have off with the baby.
    I know that you have to telly our employer the "expected week of childbirth" and obviously your due date but can I say that I will be available to work until I actually give birth, then if I am a couple of weeks late I won't be getting maternity pay, during the school holidays for no reason?
    It doesn't say ANYWHERE that the latest day maternity can start is "your due date?"
    any advice????

2. Hi!!!! I have read through my schools maternity guidance very closely, My due date is in the last week of the summer term, I know that many people are "late," and in the documentation it states that "maternity leave can start no later than the day after childbirth."
    as I will be off anyway I am really keen to work for as long as I can so that I can maximise the amount of time I can financially afford to have off with the baby.
    I know that you have to telly our employer the "expected week of childbirth" and obviously your due date but can I say that I will be available to work until I actually give birth, then if I am a couple of weeks late I won't be getting maternity pay, during the school holidays for no reason?
    It doesn't say ANYWHERE that the latest day maternity can start is "your due date?"
    any advice????

3. Not sure on all aspects but maternity starts on the day you have your baby so for example if your baby comes early your maternity will start from then. You should be able to put any date down up to and including your due date as a starting point for your maternity leave. Speak to HR in your borough/county they can advise you too.
    Congrats BTW

4. I know our own contracts stated we could not start maternity pay any later than due date.... and from many other peoples threads think this is generally the case... didn't really matter to me as she arrived 11 days early,

5. As far as I know, you have to put your leave as your due date or before. Not after.
    BUT! Being quite cheeky I was wondering... can you lie about your due date by a few days?! My situation is that mine will be born in August so obviously I won't be working, and my thinking is that as there is a chance that the baby could be late then at least I have a chance of getting normal pay for longer! Obviously if the baby comes early, then that's fine and that's just the way it goes. Any thoughts? or are there official forms that are written by midwife that i'd have to show the HT that would have the due date.

6. No, you will have a MATB form supplied by your midwife which you will show your due date- this is official documentation.
    It is frustrating as you will get less pay than someone due Sept 1st but leaves school on the same date, but there is nothing you can do, I had an August baby so feel your frustration.

7. Thank you, thought so moomoon, worth a try hey. Ah well, i'm just greatful for the miracle :eek:)