1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I salvage anything from the wreckage of my career?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bigbev, Jul 13, 2012.

1. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I strongly suggest you contact your union for support
    I am still living with a wreaked career from one wrong move 18months ago - at least with my 'mistake move' I had union support and came out with a CA with standard financial settlement - and at least with a CA you get an 'agreed reference'
    Keep going - the posters on here are wonderfully supportive and you feel better as you know they do understand what you are going through work wise
    xx

2. Thanks bigbev - that certainly was supportive! I am trying to contact my union...my local rep is a bit of a scarlet pimpernel but I feel time is of the essence now so I'll go over his head if he doesn't return my email or phone call on Monday!
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a CA?

3. casper

casper New commenter

Go straight to region, this behaviour is not at all uncommon. It is however outrageous. no one deserves to be treated in such a poor way in their place of work.

Take care.

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Oh ny lovely, what an awful time you've had. Here comes a big hug...

Go above your local rep to the regional office. Phone them and explain what has happened and ask for a regional officer.

You could also check your home .insurance policy. Often it will include legal advice cover. If you have it, it covers employment issues such as this. Also consider your local CAB. They have legal advisers who can pro use advice e for free.

The 'legal rights' information you seek is that the Head has breached her implied contractual duty to maintain a relationship of trust and confidence with you. You could resign and claim constructive dismissal if you have the evidence of what she did. Ensure you obtain good legal advice and remove from the school now any evidence you may wish to use - it may 'disappear'.

Xx

5. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

No 1 - go straight to regional level re union
    No 2 - Compromise agreement - I thought I was going to have to do the same to get out of my horrific mistake job - the union negotiate with LEA HR dept - you are shown agreed reff from head and are allowed to say what you are not happy with - I think most if not all come with some sort of financial settlement - it helped me with my drop of salary - pension top ups etc
    There are some posters on here who are way more knowledgeable than I am who may well post advice as well
    Take care x

6. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

As I was saying there are lots with great advice - gardeningleaves is fab!

7. Thank you everyone - not only supportive but very quick too!
    I'll email the regional officer tomorrow and hopefully hear from them on Monday with some helpful and speedy advice. I don't like going over someone's head but I can say that I don't want to overburden him, as he still works part-time as a class teacher, but we break up next friday so I feel we need to get a shift on.
    Regarding evidence - I think I've been reasonably careful to send damning emails to my personal email, and keep a copy of the only piece of written evidence. Needless to say, she's very clever and most of the bullying has been verbal, with no witnesses present.
    Thanks again guys!

8. Gardening Leaves

TBH, school or local reps do their best, but they do not have the training or experience to deal with this sort of issue.

9. The treatment you describe from the head teacher is disgraceful. As I understand it, you were called in and shouted at having just returned to work after your father died and you were also widowed a year ago!!! I think you are describing a very hostile workplace and you really have to escape from it. On the simplest level, this could seriously damage your well being. The variable supply work option would have the least aggressive impact. Please put in for constructive dismissal if you can- I hope another job comes up for you very soon.

10. You have suffered two major bereavements,,and to lose your dad so close to the anniversary of the loss of your husband must be heartbreaking. I offer you my sincere condolences. The fact that you are going into work, and doing your best to get on with your life shows that you have great inner strength. Many people facing the same circumstances would be unable to even consider carrying on with such a stressful job, or any job. You are doing the right thing. If only your workplace was different, because, from personal experience I can say that to hold onto routine when dealing with grief can be consoling and can ultimately have a recuperative effect. In your case it is not, because you are dealing with a bully. No one deserves to be shouted at when at the workplace.My advice to you is:
    • you only have one week to go until the holidays. If you cannot face it get a certificate. If you can face it - harden yourself up and go for it. I bet the children will be glad to see you, and you will be pleased with yourself for seeing the term out.
    • Make a careful note of "the shouting incident" and other incidents that you consider intimidating or unreasonable. If your own union rep is unavailable then contact the head office - see what advice they can give you. Do not resign in disgrace because you have done nothing to disgrace yourself.
    • Do find another workplace. Your history shows you are a good teacher. Do not give up because of a bully. Teaching is difficult,without the bullying element,Teaching is also tremendously rewarding in the long run, and can be a release from bereavement because it is so demanding; it forces you to focus on the living. You could have a wonderful and fulfilling career ahead of you, and just think of those wonderful holiday weeks.
    • If you do not have a good friend to talk to look up bereavement counselling in your area. Do not suffer alone.
    You are clearly a strong person, because despite the obstacles you have done your best to carry on. Keep being strong. You will be okay.

11. Gardening Leaves

What a lovely post, angelize - and welcome to TES!

12. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

It just infuriates me that vindictive bullying heads are allowed to remain in post. For all the Government's talk of clamping down on teachers who are supposedly inadequate, it seems that nothing is being done about bullying heads who make staff members' lives a misery. I wish the vindictive headteachers we all too often read about on here could be named and shamed- pupils and staff deserve better!

13. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

The really scary head I worked for was protected by LEA!

14. First of all, thank you all <u>so</u> much for your kind words. Such kindness means a lot to me. I am also in the very fortunate position of having great family and friends who are supporting me very well too, with my bereavements and work situation.
    I need to correct a false impression I seem to have given - my head didn't literally tell me to f*** off, that was me paraphrasing the things she implied were going to happen to me in September...
    I am on very good terms with all the other staff in my current school; they are very supportive but terrified to speak up because they know she will go after them if they do. I know my previous school was asked for a reference because I still have friends there, and I have no reason to believe that it was less than good.
    I'm emailing regional office now and copying in my local rep, and I'm going to say that I've gone straight to regional because of the timescales involved.
    I'll let you know what happens this week - thanks again for all your help and support.

15. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I am so pleased to hear you sound so much brighter today - well done for emailing regional office and enjoy your weekend - hurray I can see the sun here!
    X

16. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Then it's collective action you need, with union support. A regional official should be well versed in what to do, but he or she will require the staff to back any action.

17. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

My guess is your Head is trying to get rid of you on coast basis and replace you with a prospective NQT - and going about it in a way that you must go to your Union about.

Hopefully Karma will come and bite your Head in due time.

18. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Your peace of mind should not have come at the cost of your job, but I'm happy that you are well away from that destructive HT.
    Good luck.

19. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

From my own experience, it is hard to walk into a class/staff room again when your self confidence has been shattered, however, if you are able to do it, you will feel on top of the world knowing that you have not been beaten! Good luck in whatever you decide to do. xx