1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I revoke request to go part time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gemmaw1978, Jun 26, 2019.

1. gemmaw1978

gemmaw1978 New commenter

Hi - I placed a request to go part time in March. All SLT have said is that they will consider my request. I have not heard back on what the timetable will be and I am considering revoking my request. The school have not employed anyone else and I have not yet signed a new contract.
    How easy is it to cancel the request and stay full time?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Once a p/t request has been agreed by both parties, you and the school, it is a binding and permanent change to your contract of employment. But at this point it hasn't been agreed by either of you, no change to your contract has taken place, so you are free to withdraw your request.

Nothing formal is needed. Just put it in writing that you no longer wish to change your contract of employment and you are withdrawing your flexible working request dated xx/xx/xxx. Do it asap though! You don't have to explain why you have changed your mind, but have an answer ready in case SLT corner you in the corridor and ask why.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

So, OP, if you wish to withdraw it, do it ASAP (in case they are reading this thread!)

HolyMahogany and agathamorse like this.
  4. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Why haven't they responded? Don't they have to respond within a certain time?

5. gemmaw1978

gemmaw1978 New commenter

Ha! Okay! Cheers.

6. gemmaw1978

gemmaw1978 New commenter

Timetables are still being arranged. Request has been acknowledged but just not a definite yes or no. More like a 'probably' at the moment.

7. Rott Weiler

Within 3 months, so they could just about be within time still. All the more important OP gets their letter in withdrawing it quickly, just in case the school is preparing their letter accepting the request right now! If I were OP I'd write my letter of withdrawal tonight and hand deliver it to the head &/or HR the moment I got into school tomorrow morning.

https://www.gov.uk/flexible-working/applying-for-flexible-working

EDIT @gemmaw1978 it might be a good idea to email the letter to head + SLT + HR tonight, then hand deliver the signed letter tomorrow morning. There's a risk they could otherwise get their letter of acceptance to you before you get your withdrawal in. Life could be tricky for you if that happens.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  8. gemmaw1978

gemmaw1978 New commenter

So, for arguments sake, if they accept the request and give me my timetable tomorrow, even though I haven't signed anything, would I not be able to withdraw request?

9. Rott Weiler

Legally yes, that would be the position. If they agreed to everything exactly as you requested in your written request then their written reply is all that's needed to make a binding change to your contract. You have signed something - the request to change your contract!

If they came back and said they couldn't agree to everything you requested and proposed something else then the situation would be different. That would need your agreement.

10. gemmaw1978

gemmaw1978 New commenter

Okay thanks. I have requested certain days off due to personal reasons - the school know what these reasons are. So if they come back and the days are not suitable, could I essentially decline the change in those circumstances?

11. Rott Weiler

That's my understanding - but I am not a lawyer! Best to avoid getting into that situation if you can. Consult your union if you do end up there.

12. gemmaw1978

gemmaw1978 New commenter

Of course. Thank you for your help - appreciate it.