1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I resign whilst on sick leave with anxiety?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kiddyfan, Sep 29, 2015.

1. kiddyfan

kiddyfan New commenter

Hi
    Just hoping someone can help with this. I have been off since late June with high levels of anxiety. Having had counselling I have established that my workplace is the stem of my anxiety. I am due to go to a phased 2 meeting tomorrow and have made the decision that I need to leave this school as my self esteem has been eroded over many years. It has taken a lot if counselling and thought to get to this decision, believe me. Can I resign whilst on sick leave? Also worried regarding references as not sure if I want to stay in teaching or try something else! My sick note ends on Friday , though I do have an appointment to see my doctor on that day.
    Just really confused!

2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

You need to get your union involved with this to give you specific advice about your situation. You can resign any time you like. If you spend the notice period (up to Xmas) on sick leave then it makes no difference.

You do need to someone to help negotiate a reference for you. This may be part of what is called a Compromise Agreement but it does not need to be. Again this is a matter of specific advice you need to get rather than the general advice you can get on a forum like this.

3. llowe25

llowe25 New commenter

Hi
    I am just at the beginning of what you are going through.
    I am finding it very confusing too and seem to be getting all sorts of advice that do not support each other. If only there was a straight forward solution to this.
    I really hope you get it sorted and do what makes you happy.