1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I resign while signed off sick?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pink piglet, Feb 21, 2007.

1. ?????????????????

2. ?????????????????

3. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

Yes, but take advice from your union first if this is long term sick

4. Yes. Agree with cornflake...seek advice before you do it.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Yes, but think and take advice before you take such a step.

6. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Don't do it

EVER

7. why not bbibbs - it would solve a lot of things

8. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

pink piglet: read on other forum you have been off for 2 months. Don't rush into any decisions. Sick pay is there for a reason. Without wanting to go into the details of your sickness, it is never wise to make such important decisions while you are unwell. My initial advice would be talk to your union by all means, but do not resign. Not yet. If you are entitled to ststutory sick pay, take it while you get better. Then, and only then, consider resigning.

9. I did.

What I did do though was make sure that the resignation letter was an in-depth account of everything which had brought me to the point I was at - the stress, the way I had been treated, the lack of appreciation I felt and all the unpleasantness I had suffered. The Head was quite understanding about it.

I've never looked back since.

10. If it is the job that is the prime cause of your illness.... then like many on here.... absolutely do it, but with advice....

Health is far more important than the job.....and i think far too many people suffer rediculously for the sake of a thankless role

11. I don't see why not. If you don't like the job, resign. Imagine yourself in three months' time - would you regret it?

12. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

i read your thread, and i am in a similar position at the mo, i am off sick and am considering to resign. i am unsure how it would look on me if i resigned while off sick and future impliacations on jobs etc....
    i notice you resigned while off sick - did it effect your future job prospects?
    did you have to go for any medical stuff before anyone was going to hire you?
    did the school you resigned from, considering you wrote an in depth letter, lots of not so good stuff - <u>did this effect you being able to get a decent REF.</u>
    i am not resigning cos of stress or for being treated badly, i would like to resign as have been off sick.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think it's unlikely that you'll get a response to this now as the thread is over 4 years old and has been dormant ever since. More than one poster on it either doesn't post at all or posts under another username.
    I'm puzzled as to how these ancient threads get trawled up by new posters...and why.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

...and with the best will in the world - you need to find out the difference between effect and affect so that you can use them appropriately.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Indeed.......I don't think I could have found this if I'd tried.
    I've met OP in RL, which is why I opened this up thinking OP had returend to TES land. Only when I saw a post on the first page from Bbibbler did I realise it was an <strike>old</strike> ancient thread.

16. Be fair - only two of the threads are old. The OP has posted several threads of his/her own in the last few days and posted on some current threads.
    I'm just curious about the old ones - and I accept that a search might have brought them up. I'd look at dates because I've been around a while but I'm not sure I would if I were new.

17. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

<font size="2">Hi Lara</font><font size="2"> Thanks so much for your post on the relevant issue. </font>
    <font size="2">Could you tell me more about this esp with your colleague had two spells of 'time-off' - did they resign from that post? how did they get round from getting a decent REF and a job</font><font size="2">my main issue is should i resign while i am sick? even if i get better i think i would like to resign, one reason if i get ill again then i will be repeating this episode again with the school. Whereas if i resign, and then go to supply work and am not well i will not have anyone on my back</font>

18. Fair point seren. My wording was wrong. Putting my grumpiness on here from a bad bad week.

19. I know the feeling.