1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I resign after 31st May?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missbanana, May 28, 2012.

1. missbanana

missbanana New commenter

What are the rules on this?

Can I resign later and just not get paid for August?

2. missbanana

missbanana New commenter

What are the rules on this?

Can I resign later and just not get paid for August?

3. 576

576 Established commenter

You can resign after the resignation date but it is at the discretion of individual Heads, so you should go and speak to yours.
    I suspect a lot depends on the situation.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The next official resignation date would be October 31st to leave December 31st. I have known teachers offer unofficial resignations during the summer and typically the head then witholds August pay, though this is not advisable if you wish to retain a positive reference to move on with.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is dealt with at some length here:
    Dear john -dates to hand in notice
    Best wishes

6. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I have done it twice, once because I split up with my fiance in May half term, and was given permission to seek employment by the current head, moved back to my uni town,
    I also did more recently, due to changes in my family circumstances, I wanted to return to my home area, and despite interviews, no job by the May half term. I asked my head if I could continue to apply for posts, and she allowed me, I ended up securing one at the end of June.
    I asked the heads BEFORE I applied for posts, and had they said no, I would not have done. However, I was lucky, and it all worked out well for all concerned in the end.
    However, it was not to be recommended I am sure, and I was told that it could be a risk regarding breach of contract etc, but at the end of the day, I was replaced in the first post before I left and the second time it happened, the head at the school was in the process of making redundancies, so it suited everyone.
    Good luck
    B x

7. Sorry to disagree with such a venerable and respected authority as Theo, but the thread he quotes is not at all entirely accurate, The simple reality is that there are three resignation windows a year, but a teacher can always leave by mutual consent. That element is missing from the discussion cited.If the head declines such a request - and it is always at his/her discretion, then you are contractually bound. The reason it's there is usually to provide for pressing and unusual circumstances.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think you'll find that I said it was at the head's discretion and Theo said you'd have to make a good case for it - which bit of that is incorrect?
    The bottom line is that if the head says no, it doesn't matter how 'pressing' or 'unusual' a person might feel their circumstances to be - there is no 'right' to resign after the official resignation date.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to be called venerable and respected! [​IMG]
    Sorry? Missing?
    So what's this then?
    And this:
    And this too:
    Seems to me that I made this very point three times . . . So what is the disagreement?
    Best wishes

10. Sorry Theo and others - the inaccuracies were in the comments to what was posted - not your piece.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fair enough, Iconoclastic! Others too commented on the inaccuracies of one poster.
    However, I stand by everything that I wrote - as you do too, I now see. So crossed wires there between us, that's all it was.
    Best wishes

12. group hug then.... :)

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Mrs TG doesn't let me do that.
    :(
    Best wishes

14. ..
    Sounds suspiciously like bullying to me...

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

YOU tell her then!
    Best wishes