1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I request a TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by RamC, Jun 10, 2012.

1. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hi, I'm an NQT and am working in a special school. My contact stated that after my initial year I would be asked to take on a curriculum area where there was a need. But I have since been taking on all of the planning and assessment coordination for my area (PMLD) across the school, and in addition have been training staff in good practice for working with PMLD students. I don't really mind this, as it makes my own job better as well, but we have recently had a curriculum review and the school have opted to begin doing our own long term plans rather than adapting from EQUALS planning as we do now. I have been asked to joint plan for all subject areas on behalf of the PMLD side of things as I am the most qualified and experienced in this area, despite there being two other teachers who also have PMLD classes and a "head" of PMLD! My school did start me on M2 rather than M1 as a nod to my experience, but the deputy says that he doesn't believe TLR's are to support teachers doing planning as it's just part of the role. What do you think, should I be asking for my additional contribution to be recognised financially?

2. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hi, I'm an NQT and am working in a special school. My contact stated that after my initial year I would be asked to take on a curriculum area where there was a need. But I have since been taking on all of the planning and assessment coordination for my area (PMLD) across the school, and in addition have been training staff in good practice for working with PMLD students. I don't really mind this, as it makes my own job better as well, but we have recently had a curriculum review and the school have opted to begin doing our own long term plans rather than adapting from EQUALS planning as we do now. I have been asked to joint plan for all subject areas on behalf of the PMLD side of things as I am the most qualified and experienced in this area, despite there being two other teachers who also have PMLD classes and a "head" of PMLD! My school did start me on M2 rather than M1 as a nod to my experience, but the deputy says that he doesn't believe TLR's are to support teachers doing planning as it's just part of the role. What do you think, should I be asking for my additional contribution to be recognised financially?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

1. The deputy is right - planning is part of every teacher's job.
    2. You're not doing anyhting worth a TLR.

4. RamC

RamC New commenter

Perhaps I was not specific enough in my first post. I am not just planning for my class, I am creating long term adapted plans from scratch for the whole school for all the subject areas, as well as coordinating the assessment outcomes for all the PMLD classes. This also means bi-weekly phase meetings. Plus doing weekly training sessions for an hour with the support staff I manage, (6). This is far more than the subject coordinators do, as they use published plans and hold resources, yet they have a TLR for it. Especially as I am an NQT!

5. But the answer to your question "Can I request a TLR?" is still no, despite all you say, because this isn't how it works. Your job role needs to have a TLR on the school's staffing structure or you need to apply for a role that does. They don't just hand them out, sadly! It will be good CPD for when you do apply for TLR roles though.

6. RamC

RamC New commenter

Thanks, obviously as an NQT I don't know all the information to be adequately informed yet, which is why I asked on here. It's surprising that some people forget that they can just give a simple, informative answer rather than a response that makes the poster feel a little silly. But I appreciate the guidance, thanks very much.

7. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The reason why some answers are less than helpful is that this is a very common question on these forums and is asked every couple of weeks. Whilst your position may be slightly different to those that have been before the basic principles are the same.