1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Can I report this to the police?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jellycowfish, Dec 23, 2011.

  1. jellycowfish

    jellycowfish Occasional commenter

    My ex of 7 years has always had severe money problems - mainly in that he spends far more than he has, and usually owes several thousand to each creditor that was duped into lending him money in the first place.
    My issue is that he continues to give out my phone number to his creditors, ensuring that I receive all the phone calls from solicitors and debt collecting companies. I hand out his mobile number to them with pleasure, but as he has just let his 3 young children know that he won't be seeing them any more, I feel that I want to be a little more pro-active. I haven't got his address as he has apparently split from his latest <strike>money lender</strike> girl friend and moved somewhere else.
    This is no doubt a gut reaction in response to his appalling Christmas email to the children, but that enough is enough and I want to take it further. Is it a criminal offence? and can I report him to the police for giving out false information?
  2. whapbapboogy

    whapbapboogy New commenter

    I don't know- ask the police?
    Sorry to hear about all of this.

    ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

    No harm asking. Maybe worth a chat with the Citizens Advice Bureau too?
  4. harsh-but-fair

    harsh-but-fair Star commenter

    Is what a criminal offence?
  5. kittylion

    kittylion Established commenter

    How awful Jellycowfish! I feel as though it should be an offence but am not well up in this sort of thing. I was wondering if you could get advice either from the CAB or from a solicitor - sometimes you can get the first 20 minutes or so free, but you could check.
    Could you not change your telephone number and go ex-directory (or is it a mobile?) I know it's a lot of bother but I think it might be worth it to get this lowlife out of your life - how dare he pass his creditors on to you.
    Have you checked your credit rating to make sure he still isn't linked with you - I believe he can be for up to 6 years - it might be worth having a look.
    Hope it goes OK with you.[​IMG]
  6. What about reporting it to BT? Tbh, I'd change my number, go ex-directory and not give him the new number. He can use a mobile number like anyone else... I understand that there are children involved, but that doesn't mean that he has to have a landline number. I'm sure that if you report it to BT they will have a procedure for dealing with this kind of thing.
  7. harsh-but-fair

    harsh-but-fair Star commenter

    What makes you think the OP is a BT customer?
  8. Lalad

    Lalad Star commenter

    I had this problem with my ex. It's not very pleasant and the advice I was given was that it was harassment (but as he was mentally ill that didn't help very much). You could take out an injunction, but I looked into this and it was going to be very expensive, especially due to him moving around so there was no address where it could be served.
    National Debtline were very helpful with setting my mind at rest regarding what the creditors could and couldn't do - to be honest, it was the letters that I found more worrying, because they kept writing saying they were going to visit the house.
    Basically you either change your phone number, although I really didn't see why I should have to do this, or be very firm with the creditors - tell them he is your ex, doesn't live with you and keeps giving your phone number.
    Best of luck!
  9. jellycowfish

    jellycowfish Occasional commenter

    Thanks for all your replies. Like you said, Lalad, I don't see why I should have to be the one to change my phone number - tbh, it's not the phone calls from companies I mind -they are always very apologetic and understanding - (and pleased to receive his mobile number!) - it's the fact that he keeps giving out my number. Changing my number doesn't stop this, and it stops me being able to let the companies know he is nothing to do with me.
    My credit rating, fortunately, hasn't been affected - so I am ok in that respect.
    Harshbutfair- I know my opener wasn't 100% clearly written, but I would have thought it was fairly obvious what I meant! Although being a ***** dad should also be a criminal offence, IMHO.
  10. jazz2

    jazz2 New commenter

    It wouldn't stop him from giving out the number, but it would stop it from being your number. So it wouldn't have anything to do with you anyway, and not telling the companies that it had nothing to do with you, would be irrelevant.
    I agree you shouldn't have to change, though, Must admit I'd quite enjoy giving them his mobile number! [​IMG]
    (as long as he doesn't change it ... [​IMG] )

Share This Page