1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I refuse an observation?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by donna1107, Mar 28, 2011.

1. My mentor is lovely, and I'd doing my termly observation this week. However, I'm feeling a bit victimised by the deputy. She's another yr5/6 teacher and also the numeracy co ordinator. She's been asking for ages to observe me as the numeracy co ordinator. I wasn't too fussed bout it but my mentor has been lovely and told the deputy not to as I'm only allowed a certain amount if obs and she needs to c me herself. Anyway she's now invited herself along to observe my nqt observation with my mentor. The thing is it's not even a numeracy lesson, so now imwondering what her focus of the observation is! Don't they have to have a purpose? Can I refuse to b observed by her, seeing as she's nothing to do with my nqt stuff?

2. Hi
    It seems to me that your mentor is doing a very good job of protecting you, but ultimately there is no get out clause if a member of the senior management wishes to observe you - unless it is deemed to be harrassment and this does not sound like harrassment. Agree the focus with the mentor, ask that the mentor will be the lead observer and trust that he/she will continue the mentor role. It is not unreaso9nable for a joint observation and surely that is better than the DH alone with no independent verification of their judgement.
    James

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Goodness! My HT observed the NQT I mentor with me in December. I am pretty sure she didn't feel victimised at all. This is a normal part of being a teacher and hey you get two for the price of one!

Best of Luck