1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can i Pause my NQT for a bit and run off to a foreign land?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by lemd1983, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I was wondering...

I am at quite a nice school for my NQT (very lucky i know) but I've just seen literally my dream job come up in a foreign country, and I am very keen to apply for this. I don't however, want to ruin my chances of working in England again and not get my NQT...

...can i pause my NQT and run off to this foreign job if i get it?

... or should i pass over the chance to get my dream job?

mmmmm

HELP!!

2. I was wondering...

I am at quite a nice school for my NQT (very lucky i know) but I've just seen literally my dream job come up in a foreign country, and I am very keen to apply for this. I don't however, want to ruin my chances of working in England again and not get my NQT...

...can i pause my NQT and run off to this foreign job if i get it?

... or should i pass over the chance to get my dream job?

mmmmm

HELP!!

3. I'm not 100% sure but I have always heard that it's better to complete your NQT year before going to work abroad as then you don't have it hanging over you when (if) you come back to England. I'm no expert though!!!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Generally you would be in a stronger position if your induction year is completed as you would then be looking for standard teaching jobs rather than hard to find induction post. This would also hold true for overseas posts as many do look for experienced teachers.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Many, many people have no option but to "pause" their NQT year due to the fact their first post is less than 1 year. For example, I've just started a 2 term temporary post. I'm hoping it will become permanent, but if it doesn't come September I'll need a new job and if I don't get one my NQT will be "paused".
    Don't expect your current school to keep a post open for you though!