1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I offer marking services?!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Firebird123, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Hi everyone

I haven’t posted in a while as I’ve been going through some major life changes lately... but to cut a long story short, I left full time classroom teaching for health reasons a while back and I am now a self employed tutor.

I had an idea re earning a bit more money by offering my services to teachers to help them with their marking. Is this allowed / ethical?! Obviously, I would have to stick to their success criteria / the school’s marking policy.

I have taught up to Year 9 English as well as a number of other secondary subjects and am a confident and very thorough marker. I am (was?) also an SLE.

What are people’s thoughts?

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

I don't know about ethical for you. But I can't see how it would be ethical for a teacher. In fact it sounds extremely dodgy.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Sounds iffy
    As a class teacher how will they know how the kids are doing if someone else is doing the marking? Assessment of understanding is far more than a grade
    Have you thought about exam marking ?

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Even allowing for the issues mentioned above, and it would be the responsibility of the teacher to make sure their school's marking policy is followed, I would have thought there would be data protection issues here. Perhaps they could be dealt with if the work could be made anonymous, but I am not sure. I can't see why you can't offer marking services, but I would have grave doubts about a teacher who used them.

Yes, I thought that too. It is useful as it comes just when students taking the exams end tuition.

5. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Exam marking - yes! Good idea. I will look into that. Would I not have to be teaching the syllabus though to be able to mark for exam boards?

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

My friend is a maths teacher who does tutoring but no longer works in a school and marks exams