1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I move from FE to primary?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by gemmagaff, Feb 7, 2020.

1. gemmagaff

gemmagaff New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently feeling a little lost. I began my teaching career in FE only just over a year ago. After the first year, I have decided I would like to teach primary instead. I wondered if this transfer is possible/ straightforward?

I have worked across all key stages as a TA for the 11 years. (I loved being a TA) I have a degree in Special Educational Needs and Inclusion Studies and last year I completed a PGCE in PCE. I currently teach Maths (GCSE and functional) and Health and Social Care. I would really like to head back to primary (where i started as a TA) but I'm unsure if my teaching qualifucation can be transferred?

Any help, advice or warnings would be gratfullly recieved.

Thanks

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

It would if you have QTS - you will need this for a teaching role. You would find it easy to get a TA role but not sure if that's what you want?

3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

As you don't have QTS you'll have to apply for QTLS, another year and pay for it and keep paying to maintain it's status.

I'm sure if you've worked in primary you will have known this. As things stand the best you could hope for would be employment as an Unqualified Teacher on the UQ payscale, then ask to be put through for QTS.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually your biggest hurdle may not be the qualification as such, you can possibly get over that, but actually persuading a school that they should consider you, somebody who chose FE as a career path

Why should they choose you? What do you have to offer the school and its pupils?

That's what you should be focusing on when you start applying, having first sorted out the qualification issue.

If you did a PGCE and gained QTS, you are qualified to teach all ages of mandatory education, even though your course will have been Primary or Secondary. If you did a QTLS, you are not.

So sort out your qualification and then work on seeing if there are reasons for a school to appoint you.

If you can't get the qualification or can't justify appointing you, then you will probably need to adjust your aspirations to reality.

Best wishes

If they have 20 applications, 19 of whom are Primary trained and Primary experienced ( as teachers, not TA), why

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

If any primary school received 20 applications for one teaching vacancy, the poor headteacher would be so shocked, they’d probably suffer an immediate cardiac arrest.

TheoGriff likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@Pomza True, true! But you get my general drift!

Despite my post being split in two with bits missing. The result of posting lying down in bed with flu and coughing myself to death.

Best wishes

agathamorse likes this.