1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I moonlight abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sdk9238, Jun 18, 2018.

1. sdk9238

sdk9238 New commenter

I want to work in international schools abroad and wonder whether I can make some business with a teaching job.

Manage a cafeterica, a beauty shop or work in academy at night and so on...

I think it depends on visa. then, what does the general visa say? Is it generally accepted?

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're asking. Do you want to work as a teacher in an international school AND run a business on the side? If so, why?!

3. ed717

ed717 New commenter

Depends heavily on which country you live and work in and the visa. For instance, there isn't really an issue for me to earn a little bit extra on the side where I live now, but I wouldn't even dream of taking the risk if I lived somewhere with much stricter regulations.

4. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Not uncommon in Hong Kong. Many teachers (and other expats) have changed careers here after setting up their own sideline business.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some schools write it into your contract that you are most definitely NOT allowed to do anything else, apart from your job. Therefore you are risking dismissal and / or a lousy reference if you break this part of your contract. On the other hand, some schools are a lot more flexible. The SLT might turn a blind eye or even encourage you to do some private tutoring. It is not unusual for some teachers to double their salaries by doing some tutoring on the side. It very much depends on the individual school and, to a lesser extent, on the rules in that particular country.

During his time in the Middle Kingdom, this overweight and wrinkled hippopotamus had the idea of selling lots of properties in Bulgaria to unsuspecting Chinese people. My school's SLT had not objection to my doing this, but of course no Chinese person ever bought any house in Bulgaria. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

ruthwill500 and Helen-Back like this.
  6. sdk9238

sdk9238 New commenter

Hi. that's exactly what I want to do. I just don't satisfy with the salary that I can make with the teaching job. And I think running a business is kind of a adventure. I think it makes my life more interesting :)

7. sdk9238

sdk9238 New commenter

8. sdk9238

sdk9238 New commenter

9. sdk9238

sdk9238 New commenter

The SLT might turn a blind eye or even encourage you to do some private tutoring. It is not unusual for some teachers to double their salaries by doing some tutoring on the side.

HI. What kind of private tutoring is it? Is is for his school students?

10. ejclibrarian

I guess I just don't understand why you would want to run a business along side teaching. Do you not get paid very much? My work takes up a lot of time and energy. I'm not sure I'd have enough to do two jobs!

dumbbells66 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  11. sdk9238

sdk9238 New commenter

I'm Korean and teachers in Korea get paid good enough with big pension.
    Since I abandon these stability, I'm willing to work more hard to make more money and try to do some adventure.

12. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

2 of my former colleagues have started little side businesses that became so successful they left to pursue them full-time - neither were related to education.

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I had a member of my department who, I found out, was moonlighting by organising sports events - things like golf days etc. He was making money from this as a sideline. The problem was he was doing a lot of the groundwork for this during his school time and a number of tasks he had been assigned for school, were not getting done.

I found this out due to people approaching me to tell me as well as seeing some things on his laptop which he had left open.

This was against his contract conditions and something which ultimately could/should have led to his dismissal.

I raised this with the Deputy Head who, unfortunately, was a good social friend of this member of staff. I stupidly allowed him to persuade me to leave it in his hands. Nothing official was ever done about this, and the member of staff concerned just hid his moonlighting a lot better.

As time passed I realised that this was something that typified the character of the person concerned - a bit of a 'Del Boy' (although he was an Australian version)

14. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I believe we're contractually prevented from non-school work, but I think it's largely ignored so long as it doesn't impact school work. This includes tutoring which is banned but no one minds so long as our students aren't being tutored.

15. ejclibrarian

Our visas prevent us from doing any work other than the work we were sponsored to do by our school. However once you've lived here 5 years, you can apply for a permanent residence visa and with that you can take on other work legally. Teachers caught tutoring without the proper visa have been thrown out of the country so it's something people take seriously.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  16. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I believe you would be leaving yourself open for problems on a number of levels. Potentially violating your work permit, your contract and compromising your commitment to your students and peers.
    I do know teachers who have hobbies that bring in little extra income. Playing in a band once every few weeks, selling their art. I have known others who have compomised their professional responsibilities by prioritising their small business, and lost all respect of their peers.

17. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@sdk9238 - if you have never run a business before, you probably do not realise that a successful enterprise will eat every second of your time and every drop of your mental energy. It is a nice idea, but........the reality is very different from the cute dreams that people have. I very much agree with @snitzelvonkrumm and @stopwatch, this will compromise your commitment to your school, your students and your peers. Somehow, money does not grow on trees or fall from the sky.

18. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@sdk9238 .....manage a cafeteria, a beauty shop or work in academy at night and so on...
    Spend some time on the internet, write a business plan and think about the hours this will really take......small business is the most time and energy draining occupation on the planet

If you are the manager, what do you do when an employee calls in sick, what do you do when a piece of equipment breaks, what do you do when a supplier does not deliver things that you need immediately, what do you do when you cannot make the payroll because your sales are down because it has rained heavily for three days and customers stayed at home, what do you do when a customer is incredibly unhappy...........and you are in the classroom............

ruthwill500 and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  19. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I am going to be really blunt here...

The way your post comes across, along with other posts, it sounds like all you care about is the money. You're not alone in this, I have seen many posters on this forum with similar attitudes.

I wouldn't want to have that sort of teacher on my team. I want teachers who are in it because they love teaching and care about the children.

You really need to decide what is most important to you. If making lots of money and the job stability is the most important thing, then international teaching might not be for you. Yes, you can make plenty of money in some of the good schools, but contracts aren't necessarily stable. And if you are saying that a top end salary isn't comparable to Korea and you would insist on topping it up... I really think you need to consider your priorities.

And, as others have said, your options on extra work depend largely on where you are. Some countries do not allow foreigners to own businesses or to do any work outside the agreed work permit parameters.

20. sdk9238

sdk9238 New commenter

I really appreciate your advice. And I'm sorry that my posts make you uncomfortable. I think even I would've the same mind with you if I witness those kind of posts constantly.

I just want to say some more. I really like teaching and students. I don't pursue teaching jobs just for money.
    I've been some third world countries back in teenage, And saw some street children who couldn't get educated.
    From then, I decided to work abroad, among some of the third world countries.
    But because of my race and poor english, It's not easy to be hospitaled from international schools.

Once I asked on Korean communities that whether I can be hired from international schools, people say if I don't have the passport of English speaking country, it's not easy. And although I get hired, I'll be soon substituted with Whites if any white apply for my position.

In order to improve English, I need to spend money on it. I even need to get various degree or something to compete with whites. After then, Am I guaranteed to employees? No. Then what can I do after then?
    I'll be already mid-thirties and don't have property. It's not easy to be hired In Korea who don't have experience with age of over 30. Teaching job in Korea? There is certain examination which has 1:30 competition rate and all of them graduate from teacher's college. It take over five years to pass generally.

But I need to support my family. What can I do?
    The way I think is I prepare my teaching career hard AND prepare the situation that I'm not employees or substituted from native english speakers. I don't want to rich with teaching job. I've never thought international schools jobs would make me lots of money.
    Rather, honestly, I'm afraid of that where I'll be.