1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I lose my new job?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Plainjane123, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Plainjane123

Plainjane123 New commenter

Hello everyone, so as the title says I recently found out I am pregnant (unplanned).

I have a new job starting in September at an academy Grammar school. I have my offer letter and have formally accepted the post but haven’t received my contract yet.

Planning on telling the school as soon as I have my contract. I’m due end of January and if all goes well I’ll take 4 months maternity leave.

So my parents are extremely worried I’ll lose my job! I’m aware of the law but is there anything I can do/show them/ that will reassure them I can’t lose my job?

Even a reply saying “this happened to me/someone I know and everything was fine” will really help!

Thanks so much in advance

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Surely the law itself should be enough for your parents?

Your job offer cannot be withdrawn based on pregnancy. The maternity action website has really good information but I'm pretty certain it would be a very open and shut case of discrimination. No school is going to want to deal with that.

The school might find it a little frustrating to deal with (although they shouldn't share that with you) but life happens, contraception fails and people fall pregnant. It is what it is!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy - I hope it's healthy and stress-free for you. xx

Plainjane123 likes this.
  3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Congratulations! It won't be the first or last time it's ever happened, nor the earliest into a new job.
    You won't lose your job, and I think you will be able to claim maternity allowance.
    Best wishes for your pregnancy.

Plainjane123 likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

I got pregnant immediately on accepting a job, started September, went off on maternity leave July. I kept the job, but was not entitled to full maternity pay. I continued to work there a further 6 years

Plainjane123 likes this.
  5. Plainjane123

Plainjane123 New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated. I’ll definitely have a look at that website, will feel much better when I’ve told the school but I’m sure it’ll all be fine. Thanks again x