1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I legally withdraw from a TLR?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jessicahannahmatthew, Mar 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jessicahannahmatthew

jessicahannahmatthew New commenter

I recently withdraw from TLR voluntarily in order to quell tensions with HOD who had become hostile. He remained hostile so I have requested my TLR be reinstated and the Head is refusing to do this. My union has stated that it is illegal to withdraw from a TLR without resigning my post completely anyway. Is this true?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Your union is correct. It's not actually "illegal" - you don't commit a criminal offence by doing it - but no-one is entitled to unilaterally resign just the TLR part of their job. If, for example, you have a TLR to be a HOD you are not entitled to just resign from being HOD and go back to being a classroom teacher. Your only entitlement under your contract of employment is to resign your whole job.

However you can give up just the TLR responsibility without resigning your whole job if both you and the head agree to it. It sounds like that is what happened to you. But once you've agreed to give up your TLR that's it, it's gone. You can't change your mind later and ask for it back!

If the TLR post is still in existence, and if it's still unfilled, and if the school advertises it internally you could apply for it. You may or may not get it. You don't get priority because you held the post once before!