1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I leave may half term?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mrspotts, Mar 27, 2012.

1. I'm currently working on a one year fixed contract, until the end of the year. I hate it and am desperate to leave! if I handin my notice this week, can I leave at may half term? Or do I have to stick it out until aug? Please say I don't!!
    Thanks

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If the fixed contract is due to a maternity leave, what I will say may not apply - in order that they can give you short notice when the postholder returns, those often have shorter notice periods. In that case, check your contract.
    If you're under normal STPCD rules, you have no entitlement to leave at a point other than Christmas/Easter/August. So yes, you probably have to stick it out.
    The head does have discretion to release you earlier, by mutual agreement, so it's sometimes worth asking. Whether they will be willing to do that depends on circumstances: if you just don't like the school, they're unlikely to be sympathetic, unless they happen to have a teacher coming back off maternity at half-term and so it would be easy to cover the gap. If you were ill, and likely to be signed-off for much of the remaining time, they might be willing to release you to save on sick pay.

3. It's not mat leave. Unfortunately it looks like I'm stuck there then! Prob very little chance of leaving early, especially as its report time etc! Just not sure how I'm going to last much longer- they want a lot more from me and I'm there till gone 6 every night as it is!!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Just to re-iterate the advise in post#2: check your contract for the notice terms, which may be different from tose in a permanent contract.
    I was ona fixed term contract in 2011 that specified 2 weeks' notice if the postholder was fit to return to work and required me to give one month's notice. I reashed the end of my tether with the school 3 days before the end of term in July and tendered my resignation using the month of August as my notice period.
    Had I been on standard terms and conditions, the earliest I could have left would have been 31st December.

5. Working til 6 o'clock every day - how awful for you!!! And they make you do reports as well - outrageous! I don't mean to be catty, but perhaps a different line of work other than teaching is needed here.

6. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I thought that was rather catty. I have never been in school until 6pm every day and neither has many other teachers in my school or other schools. As far as I am concerned that is not the norm. I don't think the op was complaining about report writing either, simply saying that they are unlikely to let her leave during report time. In terms of my advice, if you are unhappy then you will have your reasons and there is no harm in asking the question in regard to leaving earlier. You have nothing to lose by asking.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Being at school until 6pm every school day is probably not the full story. The limit from being on the premises is probably 6pm and the OP is no doubt feeling snowed under with schoolwork at home as well.
    Time management may be part of the issue but the demands that some schools make are way above those expected of other teachers elsewhere.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you are tied in until the end of 2012 and your health is affected, you have access to sick leave when you are not fit for work.