1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I join two unions?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by TracyLC, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I'm a PGCE student qualifying in July and I'm just wondering if I have to pick just one union? Two unions have very good offers for NQTs and i'm wondering if i'm allowed to join both?

2. I'm a PGCE student qualifying in July and I'm just wondering if I have to pick just one union? Two unions have very good offers for NQTs and i'm wondering if i'm allowed to join both?

3. I'm pretty sure you can't as an NQT. Not sure why you would want to either!

4. thats pretty much what I thought - mostly its because i don't know how to pick between them- any advice?

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Just wait and see who the majority are with in your new workplace. Or read through their policies and choose the one you agree with most xx

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have a vague idea that you can join any, all or none as you please.
    But it is a waste of your money to join more than one.

Choose based on policies and ethos...you might end up in a school where most belong to a union that goes against what you believe in. Don't join just because they have.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Remeber to contact the Inland REVENUE to cliam tax relief on the allowable portion of your union subs (and GTC fee). Your Union will tell ypou what proportion of the subs are eligible for tax relief. It saves you 20% or 40% tax on that sum of money.
    For those who have been teaching a while and not claiming tax relief so far, you can back claim for the past 5 or 6 tax years.
    Update the tax people every year with the revised sums.

8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You can join as many unions as you like but I can not see what you would get out of bewing in two unions that you did not have from being in one. Like others I would read through the aims of the unions, but the most important thing is to be in a union which is well represented in the school. in one of my previous schools the NASUWT rep was married to the area rep which meant that most of the staff joined the NASUWT as they knew they would get good advice. At my next school there was not a NASUWT rep when I joined but the school had a strong NUT rep so most teachers joined NUT

9. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I'm really annoyed at NASUWT today. I joined for free for my NQT year and got an email yesterday inviting me to a conference in Leeds for a weekend - all completely free. Thought why not, emailed back and asked for a place.
    Today they emailed me back and said that I can't go because as of yet I haven't paid for next year. So even though I am a member this year and the conference takes place this year I can't go unless I pay for next year already.