1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I have that metaphorical slap in the face please?!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tladams, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hello again!

So I've not really been here for ages but feel proper pants tonight and know someone here will say something useful or nice!
    Have had a wonderful weekend staying with friends in Wales, by the beach, drinking, eating, walking spaniels and collies and felt remarkably 'like me' again. Then I came home.

I say home, I mean Surrey. Some of you may remember I was working in Wiltshire, but was on maternity cover so had to leave at Christmas. During my time doing that cover, I suffered a massive bout of depression, having spent three months unemployed, my aunt's suicide and trying to deal with my rubbish immediate family. I marched myself off to the docs, started counselling and A LOT of money and 10 months later I was better. But I had to leave that school, and ended up moving to Surrey as I got another maternity post here.

I really don't like it!! And I think that why I feel so **** tonight. The school is very 'leafy Surrey suburbia' (apologies for any offence), the kids think A*s are owed to them and will just magically appear through their arrogance and the 'acting head of department' is horrid, patronising and seems to forget I exist.

I think partly that I don't want to go back after the holidays, and that I really don't want to be in SUrrey. But I don't know where I want to be instead. I haven't secured a job for September yet, and with applying for jobs constantly and trying to sort out yr11 (I teach half of the exam classes) I don't have time to work out where to go and what to do next. I feel all teary and don't really know why and have an entire easter egg here that I can't be bothered to eat so this isn't good!!!

I've done so incredibly well in the last year to deal with all the real problems I had but I can feel the anxiety just ever so s;lightly creeping so I guess thats why I'm here, because at least I'm 'writing' it down and someone will reply, because you're all so lovely like that.
    And breathe!!

2. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

It's good that you've spotted that creeping feeling whilst it was still creeping and not running at top speed! I think you've probably got a bit of post 'good weekend away from it all' blues (a bit like myself)...if it feels more than that, then you know you should get yourself down the docs ASAP and nip it in the bud!

I too have just got back from a great holiday, spent the first say back under the duvet trying think of reasons not to back into work. And I think we work in very similar schools. I am going for a walk and then down to the gym. Getting outside is my number 2 medicine. Number 1 medicine is still ADs....but if they help, then I'll take 'em! Have you been down that road yet? Might be worth considering

3. Thanks Mrs A! I know it's mostly the 'I had fun but then had to come home' blues really. That and having drunk a fair amount over the weekend! I slept alot, read some trashy books and refused to acknowledge the work I have to do, and do feel a bit better now. Think I'd just like things to be sorted for once. To not have to be constantly watching for jobs to come up and write letter after letter!!

Anyway, chin up as they say. Tomorrow will be my apply for jobs day, then maybe, just maybe I'll mark some books!!!