1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I have some advice please?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cj2300, Jan 13, 2016.

1. cj2300

cj2300 New commenter

I work at a college, not sure if that is important or not.

My HoD has started taking my students out of my classes one at a time to talk to them. A student told me they are being asked about my teaching, if they feel supported etc. when my HoD told me it was to make sure they knew how to prepare for mocks.
    My classes are the only ones being targeted to my knowledge. Is this allowed?

Thanks

JeannieMc likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If you are not in a Union, I'd join one today - sounds like the HoD has been asked to write a report on you by SLT.

JeannieMc and Yoda- like this.
  3. cj2300

cj2300 New commenter

I am in NUT, should I seek out my rep tomorrow?

JeannieMc likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes.

And start keeping a record of all communications you get from 'above' ( email home, not school system). Get confirmation of any instructions by checking your understanding with an email. Write a note of anything your pupils say about their interviews ( but I wouldn't ask them directly).

JeannieMc likes this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yeah, right! And how exactly will it do that? They must think you've dropped off the xmas tree

Start looking for an escape route.

JeannieMc likes this.
  6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

There's something suspicious with both parties telling different stories. With only one student telling you your HOD is asking about your teaching you can't be sure what's happening. The previous advice about making sure your in a union is sound.

It is possible to has misunderstandings in situations like you describe. Try not to over react. Should you be asked to attend an unexpected meeting ask an agenda or outline as to what is going to be discussed. So as to have the necessary data or information to hand...

grumpydogwoman and wanet like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Surprised the HoD is using this stick to beat you with.
    There are plenty of others:
    • Learning walks/pop-ins/drop-ins
    • Book scrutiny
    • Lesson observation
    • Performance Management criteria
    • Putting you on the spot in staff meetings
    • Lack of support for disciplinary issues
    Looking at this list I come over as a wanna-be SLT/bully but I'm just an ordinary minion.

Realistically though with all those weapons why use such a hit-and-miss one?

JeannieMc likes this.
  8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why not go and ask your HoD?

It may be that the student's version is just their interpretation.

Just ask and see what s/he says.

Best wishes

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Needn't be sinister. They check with the students that they are setting aside time for revision and giving them some pointers etc.

"Don't forget that your tutor will give you all the help they need. Just check with him/her."

It only needs one bumblebum to say, "What do you mean?" for the HoD to start on about support and so forth and the student construes this as some dig at you! It may not be that at all.

Check with HoD.

JeannieMc likes this.