1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I have a student teacher in my class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by butterbeer, Sep 13, 2011.

1. There is nothing to stop you having a student in your class once you have passed your NQT year.

2. Thanks for your reply and I'm glad about this ...I'd love to get this job.

To Everyone:
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated too!

3. I had a student in my second year of teaching. I think it was helpful as I could show her my pgce file and explain things that she had to do at uni (she went to the uni where I studied)

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Personally, I wouldn't. I'm in my fourth year and wouldn't have anyone even now. This person will be looking to you for support, and you're only just really setting out on your own. Do you feel 100% confident in your methods? This person will be emulating what you do in the classroom, and even having been teaching for nearly 4 years, I wouldn't want someone with me, because I just think i'm not experienced enough. But each to their own and your situation may be entirely different to mine, but do remember that it is someones career depending on you and will model how they themselves practice, by what you do.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I co-ordinate student placements in my primary. Last year we had 6 sets of ITT students. One with a second year teacher, one with a third year, one pair with a fifth year and a pair each with three of us who have been teaching ages and ages.

I first had a student in my second year and was mentored as a student by a second year teacher. I love being part of the training and can't imagine not having a student teacher at some point in the year.

Depending on where you work and the ITT provider, you could ask for a first year BA student if you feel unsure. Their placements tend to be shorter and you do feel if you mess it up someone else can pick up the pieces later. Also they don't take over your class as such, so you don't have to 'get them back' afterwards.

But my second year teacher had a final practice PGCE student. It was hard work, but she has asked for a student again this year, so can't have been all that bad!

6. I asked to be involved in this process during my performance management this year. I am also in my second year of teaching and feel the same way about you with mentoring and helping other students.

I am slowly taking over from the person who is doing this now. Although they may not be in my class during their placement, I will be in charge of inductions and helping head up support for all students (trainee teachers and TA's) by April.

If you want to do this, you should ask around because i'm sure you won't be left on your own to start with!