1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I go to Leicester?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jul 7, 2020.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Trying to work out if it is permissable to go and visit someone in the lockdown area of Leicester. I've googled it but the information I've found doesn't spell it out that clearly. I'd be happy to meet in the open air, in a park or in a private garden. Does anyone know?

2. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

lindenlea likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Interesting question. I just looked up the Regulations to see what they say - The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Leicester) Regulations 2020

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/685/made

Regulations 5 and 6 are the relevant ones.

5 (2) = You can enter Leicester but not stay overnight (unless one of the defined special reasons applies).

6 (1) = While in Leicester you cannot be together with more than two people indoors or six outdoors.

Exceptions if your household has formed a "bubble" with a household in Leicester.

When leaving Leicester you might find yourself pulled over by the police to explain why you are there and prove you aren't a resident of Leicester.

knitone's link doesn't work for me - this is the correct link to the BBC item - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53283967

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    lindenlea, knitone and nomad like this.
  4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

BBC link doesn’t seem to work. Relevant information is on pages 6 and 7 of second link.

lindenlea likes this.
  5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You can go ...

but you can't come back.

6. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

It’s Leicester, not The Hotel California!

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Nobody would ever confuse those two!

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Why risk it?

Bedlam3, strawbs and nomad like this.
  9. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

10. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

How's your eyesight? ;)

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Going may not be a problem. Leaving might be.

nomad likes this.
  12. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Leicester putting the 'sweat' into sweater.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The A46 Western Bypass is clock full of people avoiding Leicester. There are plans to spend about £1billion building a new Eastern Bypass so even more people can avoid Leicester.

Going east to west, some will even take a boat from Lowestoft to Holyhead (via Honolulu) to avoid going through Leicester.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Dunteachin likes this.
  14. WB

WB Lead commenter

With any luck the Vogons will construct the bypass.

Does anybody know where I can view the plans?

Laphroig and nomad like this.
  15. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Alpha Centuri, I believe.

agathamorse, nomad and WB like this.
  16. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Leicester's road system is a nightmare. I can get in but can't get out without at least 2 circuits of the ring road!
    Derby is the other way around...I can never get to the place I want to be without a couple of circuits.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks for the help. I'm finding the regulations a bit impenetratable but think I can go. @Dunteachin - I know someone who might appreciate a visit.

Dunteachin likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When the pubs reopened outside the Leicester lockdown area the Police were reportedly checking traffic on main roads out of town and issuing fines for unnecessary travel. Some pubs just outside the boundary didn't bother re-opening yet. I have close family in and around Leicester, so I get updates.

Your car registration will be one way of checking roughly where you live, but you should take some photo ID just in case.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It says it all, doesn't it. Intelligent people trying to get it right, and nobody ever seems to know what the actual regulation is. So much for government clarity.

I wish I hadn't ventured out. I've been sat in my car for half an hour now outside the shop, waiting for the torrential rain to ease off so I can pay for my carpet.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

But we do know. The "actual regulation" is linked in both post #2 and post #3