1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can I go down the payscale?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ali.p., Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hello
    I qualified as a secondary science teacher in 2004 and was put on MPS3 due to my age when I qualified (30), however I have not been able to secure a permenant teaching position and have worked as a supply teacher since qualifying. Does anyone know if I am able to go down the payscale to increase my chances of being offered a position, I am now MPS6, I feel that I have lost out on a number of posts as the schools have opted for NQT's to save money.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No, you can't. Your payscale point is protected. A school can pay you on ahigher point if they want but they can't pay you on a lower one.
    I'm also M6 and I feel that my LA agency keeps me 'in the wings' as a very useful candidate who can offer many subjects at Secondary level but only to be used when they have no-one cheaper to contact first!
    They still try to persuade me to take CS work but I won't give in. If I get a late call with CS pay on offer, I simply remind them that I'm a teacher and tell them to contact their unqualified staff for CS work. On several occasions they've rung back and said that the school will pay me as a teacher. It's clear at that point that the CS on their register aren't available or won't travel the distance to the school and that the school have no other agency able to fill the vacancy cheaply at short notice..
    I'd rather work one day on my proper rate than three at CS rates.
    Permanent teachers are not expected to slide down the payscale when budgets are tight and I won't be tricked into doing so either witht eh CS ruse.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have never heard of this. Are you sure it was not due to relevant experience? I thought that if a school chose to pay at a higher rate than you were eligible that was up to them but it wouldn't necessarily transfer to another school. There is a minimum number of weeks that you have to have taught (I think it's 26 but am not sure) before they have to put you on the next scale.

Good luck with the job hunt

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Once one school has paid you at a higher rate, a subsequent one has no choice but to take it from there - they cannot drop you down the scale.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

thanks for clearing that up

6. I have been fortunate to have a number of long-term placements since I commenced teaching so have moved up the payscale each year. However I feel that this is going against me at interview. I guess there is nothing I can do about it. I understand that we need our pay to be protected I will have to make sure I am so much better than any other candidate that they have no choice but to take me on!! Thanks for your comments.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You'd be in the same position if you'd had a permanent contract during those temporary placement years and now wanted to move schools (or had to because re-locating to another part of the UK).
    There is a distinct lack of teacher movement between schools these days as they are essentially trapped once they reach a certain paypoint.
    The fault lies, not in pay progression, but in the long ago transference of the pay budget from central LA control to individual schools. It's called LMS-Local Management by Schools.
    Instead of following employment Equal Opps legislation and choosing the best candidate, interview panels have more than one eye on their budget and may plump for a 'good-enough' overal second or third choice candidate that is cheaper.
    Under the previous scheme, the LA underwrote whichever candidate was chosen by the school, ni matter what their position on the payscale.
    My father was a Head teacher years ago and he was told each year how many teachers and teaching assistants he could have, based on the number of pupils. He and the interview panel selected whoever they agreed was the best candidate and LA salaries/HR deallt with the contract terms and pay.
    Schools only had to manage a budget for resources and didn't actually settle the bills. The (one) school secretary/admin person in a mid-size primary school would let County know that a delivery was received intact and that would trigger the invoice being settled centrally and being deducted from the school's budget allocation.