1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I give private tuition to a student I teach?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by langteacher, Aug 28, 2012.

1. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Personally, my gut feeling would be the same as yours. I don't think I would. From the student's point of view, would they not feel uncomfortable?

2. scientist555

scientist555 New commenter

Thanks I think that has confirmed my decision - I don't have to do it and I'm not sure I'm comfortable either.

3. it looks as if you have already reached a conclusion, but if you had not, it might be worth checking school policy. Many have a rule that teachers at the school cannot tutor pupils from the school (whether they are in the same classes or not).

4. DustinFox

DustinFox New commenter

Not generally a good idea and I always regarded it as not professionally acceptable for all the reasons given. I did it just once for a student with some very special needs only when we had not been able to find anybody else suitable and I had discussed it with my head. I didn't take any money but got rather a nice case of wine (which I suppose worked out financially at about 25% of the going rate). I am not counting those students prepared in my time at my home in the days of Oxford and Cambridge entrance exams done totally free with the full knowledge of their peers and our staff; if I had sorted them in school and run after-school activities I would have never got home. Probably have the child protection police around these days even if they were 17/18
    No reason why you can't explain the professionalism aspect nicely to the parents and perhaps give them some guidance as to what to look for in a tutor. I never had any problem in liaising with a tutor (usually indirectly) as long as they seemed to be properly qualified. Be careful if you were to mention someone's name or 'phone number and make it clear that the school cannot be held in any way responsible for a tutor's performance