1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I get PGCE

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ProspectiveSpanishTeacher, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Hi everyone,

I would like to do a PGCE in Spanish to become a Spanish teacher.

I have a degree in Economics, not Spanish, but speak Spanish at almost bi-lingual level due to having lived and worked their for many years.

I have a Spanish A level, CELTA, and can teach French to a certain level too.

Is there anyway I would be accepted on to a PGCE?

Many thanks for all your help in advance,

Richard

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Most PGCE language courses expect you to have a degree in the language or to have at least studied the language for a major part of your degree. You could see if there are any universities still offering the two year PGCE which included a year topping up languages to the required level. My degree was in European Administration with French and German. I spent a third of my degree doing languages including time studying and working abroad to develop my languages - I still had to do the two year PGCE way back in 1993. Incidentally, most schools want teachers who can offer two languages, sometimes both to KS4, often one to KS4/5 and one to KS3, so you would need to brush up your skills and get some qualifications in your second language too.