1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Can I get funding for a masters?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by griffi2000, Oct 31, 2017.

  1. griffi2000

    griffi2000 New commenter

    I currently work in special needs and want to further my career but I don't want to go into management as I don't want to be out of the classroom. I am thinking about doing a masters in special educational needs so that in the future I could possibly run training for other teachers or school or move towards educational research. Can I ask my school to fund the course? I think it would be of benefit to the school in that I could pass on my knowledge through staff training. If not, is there another way to get funding for further study?
  2. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    Yes, of course you can. Whether they agree or not will depend on their financial situation and whether they think they wil get sufficient benefit from your enhanced skills. That means you will need to do a good job selling it to them. Good luck.
  3. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    If school won't help out, you should know that the government now allows loans for postgraduate courses (and PhDs) through the dreaded Student Finance [spits on floor].

  4. dts

    dts Occasional commenter

    I did an MSc last year - several people on my course were being supported by their school, either in full or in part. The most generous school had paid for the full thing and allocated extra PPA time, other people had no contribution whatsoever from their school.

    Your chances of any sort of grant or funding from any other source is essentially nil within education research - it simply isn't a lucrative enough field to be able to throw grant money even at PhD students.
  5. catbefriender

    catbefriender Senior commenter

    If they will give you time off to attend classes, do dissertations/assessments etc, you will be really lucky. You will only find out by asking them if they will fund you, so I am wishing you good luck.
  6. griffi2000

    griffi2000 New commenter

    Thanks for your replies. It would be evenings so I wouldn't need time off. Such a shame that there isn't more funding available for teachers to do further study. It can only be of benefit to the profession for teachers to undertake further studies in the field.
  7. secretteacher2357

    secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

    I finished mine this year and had to pay for it myself. My school even grumbled over me using my classes as part of my research for my thesis. But as soon as I qualified they wanted my photo all over social media to crow about their amazingly talented workforce. I declined their kind offer...
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Maybe, but I would be appalled if a school prioritised 50 000 a year or more for all staff to undertake a masters. And if they pay for some, then surely they would have to pay for all.
  9. dts

    dts Occasional commenter

    Not necessarily - I can see the logic in funding M-level courses for those directing teaching and learning, or for those with SEN responsibility, where the training is of direct benefit to the school. Those doing it more for their own interest / career progression would have to self-fund. Surely it would be like any other paid CPD in that regard?
  10. JaquesJaquesLiverot

    JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

    I'm in the opposite position - my employer has offered to pay for a course, but I'm not sure how to find one. So, yes, it's certainly possible.
  11. Moony

    Moony Lead commenter

    If you don't already have a masters degree you could take advantage of a postgraduate student loan to cover the fees.

Share This Page