1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I freeze..

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by daffodilval, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Hi there.
    Can I freeze a cooked dish of macaroni cheese? Have been visiting mum in hospital and a lovely friend of mine made this for me, unfortuantly, I had already prepared and cooked tonights meal and I hate waste..

2. Hi there.
    Can I freeze a cooked dish of macaroni cheese? Have been visiting mum in hospital and a lovely friend of mine made this for me, unfortuantly, I had already prepared and cooked tonights meal and I hate waste..

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I see no reason why not. I'm sure I have before. If it's quite liquid, the sauce may separate initially after defrosting, but it will come good once stirred reheated. If it's fairly solid, there'll be no issue at all. It'll be fine.

4. Thanks nick, its on its way to the freezer and one less meal I haave to think about next week.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yes - just make sure you defrost it slowly, so the sauce doesn't go gloopy as you reheat it!

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Can I freeze home made pizza?
    Dough, pesto, spinach (formerly frozen) and feta.

Not too sure about the spinach and the feta... and not sure whether to cook first or not!

Thanks

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, try not to let the spinach thaw out completely if you freeze it uncooked. However cooked is no problem.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Thanks.

I'll probably cook the whole thing then freeze slices.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Good idea, then you can just take out one slice as you need it, good for emergencies or when you just can't be bothered to cook.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've never had a problem with macaroni cheese going 'gloopy' if frozen, but any frozen pasta dish is best made wetter than usual as, over time, the pasta absorbs the liquid, making the dish stodgier.

11. I do it the other way around as I hate pasta that has soaked up too much liquid. If freezing, I use less liquid, then add an extra bit of new sauce as I am cooking the thawed dish (I crack open the cheesy crust on the side and pour in with a measuring jug).