1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I estimate my own pay scale?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supply junky, Mar 21, 2012.

1. supply junky

supply junky New commenter

I've been on supply on and off for years but am now thinking of applying for full time posts.
    During this time, I job shared through a county for a year and a term and have also done 2 full time stretches
    for a few terms at a time through an agency- the rest has been shorter bouts and day to day.

In applying for jobs, do I have to state M1 grade or can I estimate a higher grade to take into account at least the longer
    stretches of experience?

Any thoughts?,

cheers SJ

2. supply junky

supply junky New commenter

I've been on supply on and off for years but am now thinking of applying for full time posts.
    During this time, I job shared through a county for a year and a term and have also done 2 full time stretches
    for a few terms at a time through an agency- the rest has been shorter bouts and day to day.

In applying for jobs, do I have to state M1 grade or can I estimate a higher grade to take into account at least the longer
    stretches of experience?

Any thoughts?,

cheers SJ

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you were M1 in your County paid role and worked at least 26 weeks (even p/t) in one or both school years in thta post, you go up the p[ayscale for the next LA paid teaching year.
    If you did 26 weeks of a school year (include holiday weeks and sick pay weeks if you were on an LA contract and not on daily paid supply), in the first school yera thta you worked for the County, you should have been paid on M2 for the teaching that fell in the next school year. If that amounted to 26 weeks of employment, you'd be on M3 for any LA teaching in later school years.
    Agency work doesn't count for pay progression except in a few areas wher the agency is the LA appointed one. Check that out.
    If the day to day teaching was LA paid, it counts for pay progression if you worke in enough calendar weeks (26).
    I'd say that you were likely to be at least M2 and possibly M3.
    You can contact the LA where you worked and ask what the last pay point was. Then check with them (or use your diaries) to see how many employed calendar weeks (or part weeks) you had on that last pay point, beginning with 1st Sept of that school year and ending with 31st August.
    If 1st Sept fell on a Wednesday, for instance, in your last LA school year, you'd count one of the 26 weeks for any employment in the last few days of that week and the calendar week would also have counted as a pay pogression week for the earlier part of the week that fell in August and counted towards the previous year's tally.
    If on a contract, you would have been employed, and could count the week, from 1st Sept even if you had no timetabled days in the new school year in that part of the week. You were still their employee. It wouldn't count as a'week' for supply teachers if they didn't have a booking for any of the days remaining in the calendar week from 1st Sept