1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I do this?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Jul 24, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I promised my daughter that once I could drive, I would take her for a camping holiday to North Wales.
    Now I have my licence, I'd love to do that, but haven't been organised enough to book anything (and am not really a book-ahead sort of person anyway).
    Do you think I could just get a tent and set off anyway? I suppose it really has to be aproper campsite, doesn't it? Pitching tent in any old field isn't on is it?

It doesn't have to be North Wales, but I'd just love to set out with a full tank of petrol and a couple of sleeping bags and be free as birds for a week or two.. or three

2. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I don't see why you can't?! Just be prepared for there being no room at some, and you might have to drive around looking for other options. Sounds like an adventure to me.

3. Of course you can. I do it every year but in Scotland, not Wales. Get onto ukcampsite website and check out some sites to give you an idea of where to head and do it!

4. sounds like my idea of hell! I would have to book at least one night just to be sure. In our web-enabled-mobile phone era surely you could Google somewhere in the morning and find a place for the night phone and check for vacancies and continue in that vein?

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Ah, that's what I wanted to hear.
    I'm going to do it!
    Many thanks

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I've just read that Guardian article and am getting really excited now.
    Wild camping sounds right up my street...(oxmoron I know!)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

There's a great campsite in Llanberris which always has availability - you can't book it.
    http://www.campinginllanberis.com/
    It's where I'm going this year with my son. You can build campfires and get great views of Snowdon. Plus there's Petes Eats in Llanberris for the world's biggest mugs of tea.

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

the general code for wild camping is you go above the last office stone wall. so tend to be high up in the hills.

However a lot of farmers will let you stop somewhere a lot nicer if you ask them.

Personally I use the scout sites as they are cheap and cheerful

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

owww, I want to go tomorrow![​IMG]