1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I do it?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by todd89, Aug 28, 2011.

1. todd89

todd89 New commenter

I have a degree in sport development with coaching through which I have gained a vast amount of coaching experience, I currently work as a cover supervisor and hopefully I will be going to work in one school in the PE department till next September to familiarise myself with the role of a teacher.

I have a pretty good understanding of the theoretical aspect of PE while having only a limited knowledge on a number of sports in PE, but the volunteering and cover supervisor experience, however, will help me gain such practical knowledge.

With regards to putting across this knowledge, I have a good understanding of learning objectives, success criteria as well as an idea of AFL - BUT NOT IN PRACTICE

THEREFORE, I feel that I would not know where to start if I was to undertake the GTP!

I have unwavering passion to become a teacher; however, I do not want to get a place, if I do, and feel out of my depth!

Do I need a lot more experience?

2. You won't feel out of your depth doing a GTP, you're slowly introduced teaching when the school thinks you're ready.

I am currently starting a GTP course and I feel confident about how this year will go despite having very little in classroom experience (no more than 3-4 months). Obviously I have the same worries as others starting a new course and becoming accustomed to it but if you get onto a GTP course you have to remember you have probably been chosen out of 100s that applied for the place. They must see something in you to offer you a place in the first place.

Just go for it, nothing to lose, everything to gain. If you feel later on that a PGCE is more suitable then keep your options open. You won't hear back from GTP's until Easter-ish so you could have a PGCE place sorted by then which you can always fall back on.

3. I did a GTP two years ago in primary education but feel I will be able to offer some advice. You sound as though you have gained lots of valuable experience so far - this will be great for your interview. In terms of 'being ready' - you will be eased in gently by your school and expected to make mistakes so dont worry, go for it!