1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I do a SKE whilst ON a PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Happy-Hogan, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Happy-Hogan

Happy-Hogan New commenter

I can't say too much, as I know my subject lead comes on here.

Short story - I asked to do an SKE but was told no. I've since found out, other people were offered the SKE.

I really want to do an SKE. My tutor knows I need to work on this, but he's pretending not to notice.

If I felt this was required, where would I stand?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Usually a university based subject knowledge programme is a pre-requisite of starting ITT, it depends upon the programme you are on and how much subject knowledge is part of the programme of training. Essentially the argument would be that you do not have sufficient knowledge to continue with the training!
    I assume you are on school direct? you can always contact me directly personal message- so its confidential and off this discussion blog

3. Happy-Hogan

It doesn't seem to let me send you a PM, maybe because I am a newbie?

Thanks for the advice, that is my concern. However, I think the Uni will be on a sticky wicket as I could pretty clearly make a case that the treatment for me hasn't been equitable. Obviously if I failed the SKE, then I would be in trouble, but if I did then I would deserve to be in that position.

Having said that, I strongly believe I will make the minimum standards expected without an SKE. I just would prefer to be as strong a teacher as I could be.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The SKE is designed for situations where there may be a subject shortfall- someone who has done an Accountancy degree teaching Maths needing to study Geometry and Algebra for example. The general assumption made is that if you have degree level knowledge in a subject then you are able to teach it..

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You said on another thread that lesson observation feedback so far has considered your subject knowledge to be 'good'. Therefore, what possible reason could there be for having you complete an SKE?

Not all knowledge has to come in the form of lessons or lectures. You will develop knowledge as you teach, through having to find something out or clarify it while planning a lesson, seeing the responses and capabilities of your students, having conversations with colleagues, and so on.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Yes, many of us course and subject leaders are on here.

We make an offer of SKE as one of the conditions sometimes. It is driven by the need to develop subject knowledge in those who have not got 50% of their degree in the chosen subject.
    The kind of person who needs an SKE alongside the course is usually MFL or a very late applicant. However, it is extra work.

Subject knowledge at uni is broken into three areas according to the Schulman principles.

Knowledge of subject area.
    Knowledge of how to teach in a subject specific way.
    Knowledge of curricula and assessment for the subject.

You can get issues when trainees are asked to constantly teach in areas where they lack knowledge of a subject area. A good mentor ensures that a trainee teaches a range of areas from those that they feel strong in to those that they need to develop.

We can get further issues if a MFL trainee is restricted to teaching in their second or third language. It’s a real challenge.

My experience is that a good subject tutor supports those with weaker areas through the use of extended tutorials. There is a risk with SKEs and I have to be honest, we don’t rate many of those on the market. However, if any of my trainees were unhappy with one of my subject tutor's decisions I would hope they came to me as the course leader for further discussion.

7. Happy-Hogan

In some areas, I am performing above the rest of the class. In some areas, below the rest of the class. I think an SKE would prevent me from being 'patchy'.