1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I decide who comes in with me during an OFSTED interview?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by headdown, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Is there any reason why the secretary can not sit in and make notes so if I forget something I can go back later?
    Or can the FS leader and the assessment co-ordinator go in together because areas might cross-reference
    The deputy mainly dealt with community cohesion so wouldn't it make sense for the 2 of us to speak to OFSTED together.
    What have your experiences been?
    Thanks

2. Is there any reason why the secretary can not sit in and make notes so if I forget something I can go back later?
    Or can the FS leader and the assessment co-ordinator go in together because areas might cross-reference
    The deputy mainly dealt with community cohesion so wouldn't it make sense for the 2 of us to speak to OFSTED together.
    What have your experiences been?
    Thanks

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You can ask, but they can say no.

4. I'm not sure about the secretary making notes to be honest but no harm in asking. In our inspection a few weeks ago we had more than one of us in most meetings. It was really helpful because when your colleague is speaking you have a breather to gather thoughts and think. The other person speaking will also remind you of things to say. I would recommend it if you can.

5. I asked, explaining my reasoning, and they said yes to all requests.

6. thanks for that it does make sense-surely they want to find out about the school

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It depends on inspectors. Some are reasonable, others less so.
    It will also depend on their timetable. If it meant having to delay a meeting until after school because a member of staff was teaching, they'd have a valid reason to refuse, as the inspections are usually timetabled very tightly.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I used to send two together for feedback (one to listen and ask questions, the other to record notes), though this has largely redundant since the shorter inspections without subject feedback, etc.
    It's sometimes appropriate to have two people in an interview, but if you're the head I'd be concerned it might make you look like you need a hand-holder!