1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I complain?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Lou1986, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hi, I wonder if you can help me. If a member of the Senior Management Team is sharing personal information of other people with the rest of the staff does one have the right to complain?
    If so, who apart from my Union, do I complain to?
    Sorry it's my first time posting here so just finding my way around!

2. Depends how they came upon the information I suppose. What would you expect to result though?

3. Thank you for your reply gorgybaby.The person told them in confidence and now everyone knows.
    Not sure what I would expect as a result, maybe for them to get a slapped wrist and a warning? I am still very new to teaching so still naive to these things.

4. If you are looking for some sort of warning to be issued, you will have to raise a grievance, which could, if upheld, lead to a disciplinary being taken against the member of staff concerned.
    First port of call should be your union, though at LA level perhaps, rather than school level given the circumstances.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

If they are SMT and you go down this route be aware of the dangers associated. Perhaps best to take it as a lesson learned on who to share with.

6. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Take is a lesson not to share personal information at work.
    I agree that as they are SMT and you are new nothing good will come if you complain.